Period question/birth control/being safe

i've been on nuvaring for over a year now and it's awesome. i take it out, get my period 3 days later, and put a new one in. well this month was weird. i took it out on saturday like i always do. i got my period monday and it's now wednesday and it's completely over. so my period was only 2 days long. i know it's supposed to give you shorter and lighter periods. my question is i still have 3 days before i put the new ring in. would it be safe for me to have sex? this week is technically my period week but my period is over. can i have sex 3 days before putting my new ring in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• Nuvaring is a combination birth control, just like the pill. The way it works is it prevents your body from ovulating, and if you do ovulate, it also creates a hostile environment in your uterus so any runaway eggs that might happen to get fertilized aren't likely to implant. So you should be safe, just like if you were on the pill and had sex during the week of placebos.

And to disabuse you of a false notion, it is entirely possible to get pregnant while on your period, if you have a short cycle and/or ovulate very early. It's not likely, but it's possible under the right circumstances. In your case, though, with birth control involved, I doubt you have much to worry about. Obviously things do happen, and sometimes it doesn't work like it's supposed to, but chances are in your favor of not getting pregnant.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I wouldn't chance it, unless he is wearing a condom.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Use a condom or some type of protection unless you want to chance getting pregnant
    MrsErdos2011

Answer by MrsErdos2011 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i think the whole point of the question is that i do not. but i've also heard you cannot get pregnant on your period and it is technically my period week
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• either you don't have sex until you put the nuvaring on or wear a condom to be safe. plain and simple. don't take chances and yes you can get pregnant while on your period.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2011