How to stop judging others?

I am so gulity of passing judgment onto others even though I am a very faithful church goer. I have been praying about it more recently. I've recently read that when dealing with difficult people don't judge them and my relationship with them will become better. What comes to your mind when trying not to judge do you say a prayer right at that momment?

momharvey

Asked by momharvey at 11:34 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am guilty of judging. I think that I am getting more loving toward others, but then I catch myself being very annoyed. Praying for help to keep from judging really does help. You can pray both in your evening prayers and as soon as you realize what you've done.

Answer by Bmat at 11:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Well, I am very happy that you are trying to change your ways. I always say that just because you attend church, that doesn't guarantee you a free ride into heaven. You have to be a human being like the rest of us. I know a lady who was married to a Pastor, she was soooo funny. She said the only way she was getting into heaven was to ride on his coat tails. It was the fact that she was so down to earth and realistic that made everyone like her so. You can go to church, that's your right, that doesn't make anyone better than anyone else. Okay, so in answer to your question, I just close my eyes and put myself in that other person's shoes. Not everyone on this earth is given a fair chance in life. I was lucky, I wish everyone had the start in life that I did, but it doesn't work that way. Smile at people with a genuine smile. Nothing warms the heart like a geniune smile.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• This is something that I've really struggled hard with in the past..along with gossipping about them. One verse that I really try to remember to keep myself in check is the one about not picking out the stone in someone elses eye while you have a log in your own (I'm not exactly sure how it goes or the exact verse). That gives me a real reality check because I am not perfect either and it's not my place to pass judgement on anyone.
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 11:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Honey, everyone at some point has judged (don'tlet them tell you any diff). Its okay...i try not to do it. One effective way for me is putting myself in the other persons shoes.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I have to pretty much agree with pupmom on this. I am so tired of judgement flashing over people's faces when they learn of my atheism... it gets old. I was a good person to them until then, all of a sudden something has changed- & it wasn't me!!

mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I had a person at McDonalds turn her back on me when she first asked where I was from, I have accent, I told her from Poland, then she asked so "you must be Catholic" (for no reason whatsoever it is none of her business where I am from and what I believe, I am human, BOTTOM LINE), when I said that I am actually an atheist, she made a 180 degree turn.
    What I can suggest to you is just listen and read what people of other faiths, or lack of them say and listen how they feel and what they think, imagine for a while taking away the faith, sexual orientation etc , you know all the aspects that we people in general slap as labels on others, take it all away, and what you are going to have left is a human being. There is a lot to appreciate and admire left, just think of that, if you will.
    Love, Bea
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 12:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Romans 3:23 says For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. If we look at people as souls that need God we would not be so quick to judge. We were all born as sinners and the Gospel is free for everyone. So no one has the right to judge others. but those of us that's been born again must share and tell how God has bought us out of sin.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 1:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Everytime I'm about to pass a judgement, I know I'm going to do it before it happens. I just think about Jesus. How did He live his life? It always stops me in my tracks.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Dont push your beliefs on someone else. How would you like them to preach to you and pressure to become a Pagan, Muslim, Wicca etc?
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 1:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Why would you want a relationship with someone who is difficult? I know sometimes you cannot escape the necessity of it. We have to have a relationship with SS's mom, but we don't like it and she does things time and time again that make us judge the type of mother she is. But, when it comes to just plain pointless and cruel judging (like gossiping) I just think of something else, I remind myself that I don't want to waste my thoughts on her and that whatever she claims about being a good Christian (DH and I are not Christian) in the end she will be judged by someone or something that can see her for what she truly is and hopefully for her sake they see something different from what we see.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 1:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2008