At what age did you feel comfortable letting your little one go up and down stairs by her/himself?

I have a 2 1/2 year old DD and I am wondering when I should fully let her off of the staircase leash?

Her BB has an upstairs bedroom that she would like to play in but I am uncertain of when to give her that freedom.

She climbs just fine, I just need some reassurance and input from you all.

superclutz

Asked by superclutz at 12:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter wil be 3 in August and I still make sure she's ok at my moms house...her play area is upstairs and she's usually fine going up..it's the coming down and I make sure she's holding on...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It depends on how many steps & what is at the bottom of the staircase. We have about 13 steps with a landing 1/2 way up. At the bottom is a tile floor. So my Son is 4 & I still will not let him come down the stairs unattended. He is allowed to go up to get something but I stand at the bottom in case he slips. We also have gates at the top & bottom as well.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I dunno, my kids always found a way to climb up and fall down the stairs at that age. Even when we gated the stairs.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• we only have 3 steps for my dd to climb and shes 16mnths..if there were any more it would be a big no..shes just a little to small..i suppose it would really depend on how well she could control and balance herself
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Not yet. I would worry my brains out honestly.
    My dd is 19 and I still tell her to be careful, LOL...going up and down stairs in heels etc. I don't think they're ever really off a leash with me.
    My dd fell down wet outside stairs and landed 8 steps down on cement on her face though and ever since then.....I will never forget her banged up/swollen lips & face. So maybe I'm overprotective because of what could've happened that night. ??
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 12:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• OMG I just read these answers. Seriously???? My LO is 15 months. He does it on his own now.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• DD is 2.5 now and I still hold her hand or request that she waits for me if there are more than 3 stairs she needs to go down. Up I don't worry so much about because she grabs the bars but down I worry about!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• For me it depended on the size and ability of the child. My oldest was about 18mos when he was able to do smaller steps alone, but steep or tall ones he still needed a hand. My middle child is almost 4 and I still watch him cause he's tiny and not so stable all the time.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• If she does it well enouhg on her own i would let her do it herself. My daughter just turned 2 and i let her do the stairs at her grandparents place by herself all the time. She's super careful and doesn't mess around and hasnt fallen once
    mab05

Answer by mab05 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My DD is almost 3 and she goes up and down the stairs all by herself.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2011