Do you let your teens (13-17) have a Facebook or MySpace account?

If not, why not? If so, do you monitor it?

mamapaparazzi

Asked by mamapaparazzi at 11:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, my 15 yr old has had one for a while, it is private and I monitor it. :0)
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 11:43 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Yes I monitor it but I don't like it. It starts, creates, contributes, to too much drama and gossip and rudeness.
    Anonymous

• No. My husband is a prosecuting attorney and he's seen  too many innocent, naive children make costly mistakes.  It's just too easy to ruin your life with an impulsive decision, not to mention child predators.

datrn

Answer by datrn at 3:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My son is 14 and he does not have one. I might agree to let him have one when he turns 15, but it will be closely monitored.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I wouldn't let my teen have a myspace or anything like that. He's 13 and I feel he's too young to get into all that drama.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 5:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I've got a few years to think on that, but right now I'm leaning toward no. However, my "no" doesn't mean he won't open one behind my back. It's kind of a doubel edged sword. I'd be drilling, drilling, drilling that he not upload any photos at all, of himself or anyone else (because you never know what ideas kids are going to get and act on, on the spur of a moment...something regret for ever). Blogs and all that I would highly suggest not contain any personal information and that includes feelings (because one your best friend is your best friend and the next day they hate you...the nature of middle school). It's not that I don't trust my boy, but people act on impulse and the net is not a good place for writing impulsively (a paper journal is). I wish you could completely monitor accounts until a kid is 18.
    Lizzysapisces

Answer by Lizzysapisces at 6:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I totally agree, with my child having facebook. I'd say facebook is the safest one of these ''network comunicators'' because, not just anybody can start a converstaion with your innocent 13 year old. They have to be a freind, although i highly recogmend that if you are worried of your child comunicating, with these such ''predetors'' then you should have a little chat with him, before setting up the account. Tell him how he should only accept or add people, that he regonises or is a friend from school (facebook, is very good at montering this itself, since it puts up a slidebar suggesting friends within the area for example the same town as you and of the same age as your child.)
    TheWelkNan

Answer by TheWelkNan at 3:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• on the other hand myspace is not quite as safe, so i highly suggest that, if you are worried about your child talking to ''predetors'' you do not let him have one, since anybody is free to browse around different profiles and add who ever they want, although there is a very good system on there where you can click 'no over 18 adds' which means that your child supposedly would not be in contact with any over 18's, but people can easily lie.
    TheWelkNan

Answer by TheWelkNan at 3:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• . So i highly suggest facebook. Although i strongly disagree with monitoring it, since he may want to have 'private' conversations with his friends over it, for example about the new 'fit bird' at school. So don't monitor it because your child will feel suffocated and will be more likely to rebel against you and set up a secret one of his own that he will keep all passwords too and keep it very secret. Never make your child feel suffocated or watched because i promise you as they get older they WILL rebel, nobody wants to feel suffocated or controlled, its not natural. I understand you all love your children, but please, theres a limit... Sorry. (let him have a facebook)
    TheWelkNan

• I have two girls 14 and 17 and they both have a myspace...as do I..so you bet I monitor it. Privacy? They are under my roof! If they don't like it they can move out and pay their own way while they still no everything!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:06 PM on Dec. 14, 2008