Can I give my 1o month old decongestant?

my daughter is very congested and is having a hard time sleeping because of it, are there any decongestants that i can give her? i have some pancof but i think that is for a cough too.

kvanness0824

Asked by kvanness0824 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! try to get the mucus out with that pear shaped thingy they gave you at the hospital.

Answer by older at 12:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• NO!!! Use the snot sucker bulb to clear her nose out, run a cool mist humidifyer in her room. Since she is so young I would also suggest you call the pediatrician about this, and see if you can get an appointment. Then ask them what you can do to help her feel better and make her comfortable.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• None that I know of!!!

Please call your Doc or Pharmacist about this... they are the only people who can safely answer which meds to give a child!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Saline and booger sucker outer thingy
    dustinsmom1

Answer by dustinsmom1 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My DD has terrible allergies that keeps her nose plugged almost 365 days of the year from the time she was born. At the stern suggestion of her physician, she was only allowed to have a decongestant after the age of two. Even then the physician prescribed it to ensure correct dosing for heir weight.

He did allow Mucinex after she turned one, but even then prescribed it so I would get correct dosing. (lol, and I am a nurse)

My suggestion is to keep her head slightly elevated in her crib to allow for drainage. You can do this by rolling a towel and placing it under one side of the crib mattress. Keep the air moist as suggested above, this will keep things moist. If you don't have a humidifier you can always boil large pots of water to keep the air moist. Baby vicks vapo rub and baths work well to for comfort. Good luck, I know it is heart breaking!
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 12:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't even take decongestants because they do absolutely nothing and are more harmful than helpful ... don't do it!
    Anonymous

• Sorry I just realized this, my question meant to 10 month old and I from everyones answers I assume that even then its not ok to give it to her. Thank you for all the responses. We have a humidifier I'll turn it on and put somes vicks in it. I hope it helps. I feel so bad when she isn't feeling good and there isn't much I can do. :( poor little girl.
    kvanness0824

Comment by kvanness0824 (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• NO WAY!! use a cool mist vaporizer, saline and the bulb syringe to suck out her boogers.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• no no no no no!
    MRMama

Answer by MRMama at 1:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• When my DD gets congested we always use the nasal aspirator. We also have a cool mist humidifier that helps a lot. You can bring her in the bathroom with you and run the hot water and close the door. The steam should help as well.
    1st_time_mom789

Answer by 1st_time_mom789 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011