My stepdauther kindergarden graduation will be next week, both my husband and my stepdauther want me to attend but my husband ex-wife does not. Should I attend?

Libby041

Asked by Libby041 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well if your hubby wants you to go I would go, you don't have to sit by the mother. I don't understand what the big deal is. They aren't together anymore. You don't even have to speak to each other.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Yes you should, since both your husband and stepdaughter wish it. These are your family and of course you should be involved in the events in their lives. The child's mother would of course also wish to be a part of the event. Try to not encounter her,but if you do smile and try to be pleasant. Congratulations to the little one. :)

Answer by Bmat at 11:43 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Yes, I would go. She is not his wife anymore and really has no say. If she is a psycho, be careful, though. You know how the psychos can be and it would be awful for this to turn into something.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Yes, it means so much to your SD and hubbs that you all be together, as the family you are. I think his ex- wife should pass on the ocassion, or keep her distance from the two of you. All attention should be focused on the little graduate! ~ her birth mom could have a party for her at her home.
    25beengoodtome

Answer by 25beengoodtome at 1:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I think so! If your SD is asking you to be there, then that is all that would matter to me!
    mum2gr8byz

Answer by mum2gr8byz at 2:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I think that if your SD asked you to go yes you should be there. after all you are ALL her family now. Just be polite and/or ignore BM as appropiate but this is SD day.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• btw to those that said BM should not go. WHY NOT? this is HER DAUGHTER"S GRADUATION, why should she stay away so that new wife could come?????
    that makes no sense.
    all the family should be there to celebrate b/c its about the child not the adults.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Who cares?? She is your step daughter and you are her daddy's new wife. It ahppens all the time unfortunately. If she wants you there, then go! Don't let BM run your life and make your decisions for you.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Yes I would attend why even ask, the most important people in ur life want u there why should u care if what's her face wants u there or not....silly girl
    Anonymous

• Yes, you should go. Your SD wants you there. Just steer clear of the ex-wife. And to help be the "bigger person", make sure you encourage your SD to spend some time with her mother too. Don't try to encourage conflict if at all possible. There are a lot of events that will be happening in this child's life, which ALL of her parents should be a part of. ALL the parents need to figure out a way to support this child without conflict. I know it's easier said than done, but at least you and your DH can do your part to keep it calm by just not engaging with the ex.
    romeece

Answer by romeece at 10:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2008