Can a brother and sister share a bedroom?

My step-son (7 and has autism) has the most awesome bedroom in the world. He has an entire upstairs of a house to himself! However, he would rather be next to his sister and often sneaks down to her room in the middle of the night and will camp out on the floor next to her bed.

He only plays in her bedroom and not his. Her room is large enough to accommodate his bed, dresser, and toys.

Is it acceptable to move him into her bedroom?    (She is 2.5)

superclutz

Asked by superclutz at 12:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Why not? My now 6 and 11 yr old share a room. We are getting ready though to put him upstairs with the big kids which Im sure will be hard, but I dont see a problem.

Answer by gemgem at 12:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i would think that school age children should be in diff rooms..but in all honesty it is your house and your kids and you know what you feel comfortable with
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• How old is his sister?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• yes but really it depends on age and how severe his autism or should i say how his autism effects his behavior....what does she feel about it?
    cornfed.23.16

Answer by cornfed.23.16 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• How old is his sister? Try putting a trundle in both rooms if your son really likes being with his sister.

Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 12:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• yea i dont see why not my brother and i shared a room till I was 13 (hit "womanhood") lol then I got my own room
    HypoHeartBaby

Answer by HypoHeartBaby at 12:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think it would be ok. Do you think something about his room may bother him? Maybe that is why he does not play there.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• We were told that siblings of different sexes over the age of 4 should not share a room and children over 12 shouldn't share at all.. This was military rules but still, they always gave us a different number of bedrooms for their standards
    Anonymous

• It depends on YOUR STATE laws. But most are okay with boys and girls in the same room until they are 13 or 14 if they are not directly related and some do not have laws about shared rooms at all if they are full blooded siblings.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• If he doesn't mind why not? Butjust watch out like the previous poster said there's laws against it
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 12:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011