Kids (2 and 7)

How do I get my son who is two to stop saying bootie? He has picked it up from Day care and it is driving me crazy.

How do I make my 7 year old listen to me on the first time around istead of saying it 50 times?

1sexymother

Asked by 1sexymother at 12:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Every time your 2 year old says the word "booty" just give him an alternative word to use that you prefer like "behind". He says "booty"..you say" behind" and then go on...don't make a big deal of it, eventually he will pick up the word you prefer for him to use.

For the 7 year old..just tape record everything you say and play it over and over..saves your voice..haha.. JUST KIDDING :)

Good Luck on that one..I'm down to only repeating myself about 5 times with my 11 year old...
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Hahah You arw sooo funny. (lol) I already know that there is no way I can stop repeating myself for my 7 year old. He is a mess like most kids.

I ask the two year old to come here he will say, "No Booty" and I am like what did you just say kid. Sigh HELP ME
    1sexymother

Comment by 1sexymother (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• For the 2 year old: every time he says an unacceptable word tell him that word is not ok to say. My 4 year old (and 7) keep trying that with me. THEY'VE learned it from the neighborhood/apartment kids and say it to get a reaction out of me. So I calmly and quietly (not always, especially when I'm at the end of my rope) tell them it's not acceptable to say X word and that I don't want to hear it again.

For the 7 year old: If they don't do it they don't get to play. My son, who's 7, I have the hardest time getting him to get/keep his room clean. It has literally taken him 2 weeks to clean. He'll go in and play. I'm tired of repeating myself. So, if he doesn't get it clean in a timely manner he doesn't get to have friends over or go play at a friend's house. Other things get taken away if he dawdles too long as well.

And talking with my MIL, she says this frustrating behavior is 100% NORMAL. *sigh*
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• With your 2 year old, when he says booty, get him to repeat the word you would rather he use.
    For your 7 year old, I would stop repeating yourself and start counting to 3. A therapist i took my daughter to see told me to tell her once and if she didn't comply to start to count to 3. If she dosn't comply by the time i reach 3, she gets a consequence. Hope it helps you, I know it has made a big difference in our house.
    Animalisa

Answer by Animalisa at 1:44 AM on Jun. 23, 2011