What happened to my sweet little girl?

Okay, I really need advice. My Dd just turned two at the end of April, and since that day she throws at least two tantrums a day and the past two days her tantrums have been nonstop screaming, even in public.

Currently my reaction is to ignore her the best I can, and try to continue shopping or whatever, but quite frankly after 20+ minutes of screaming this morning and again after nap today, and then at least 10 in a store cuz I told her no to ice cream... I'm at my wits end!

When will this stop and how can I help it stop quicker????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is definitely the terrible twos. You're right to ignore it. It will pass, but will suck in the meantime.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• The fun has just begun..the only the same thing about my firstborn who is also a girl she is 18 years the fits will not even stop even agywr hey leave the nest lol. Ignoring and not giving in to their squeals is your best bet they will learn to communicate adventually and that is really what 2 yr Olds are trying their best to do. Tell her to start using her words and help her to express herself it will often times stop a tantrum in their tracks.
    griefstrickin

Answer by griefstrickin at 1:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• only 2 tantrums a day?? you're lucky!! lol! my daughter will be 3 in August and she has actually gotten worse..we do have stress right now in our lives, so that doesn't help..all I can suggest is lots of fresh air outside and lots of stimulation..if they get bored, they will get frustrated very quickly. When it's going into a store I actually explain to her before we even get out of the car that we aren't buying anything extra today...believe it or not, she listens...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Youre doing the best thing by ignoring it...it will make the phase pass quicker...and by that I mean it may be only 2-3 months instead of 6,lol.
    Invest in an Ipod or Mp3 player...stick the earphones in your ear and play your favorite music when she's in one of her screaming fits.
    When she calms down..let her listen to the music with you..maybe you will teach her an outlet for her anger that way as an alternitvie to throwing a fit.
    Good Luck mama..we ALL have been there!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Welcome to the terrible twos.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 12:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Stupid touchscreen autocorrect! Even after leaving the nest they still can throw fits lol
    griefstrickin

Answer by griefstrickin at 1:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Welcome to the terrible two's. My daughter started hers at 16 months, turned 4 in March, and only NOW is she finally starting to get better.

Having worked in retail where parents bring in their screaming child, shop the entire store with screaming child, and leave 2+ hours later with screaming child; PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just leave the store when she starts to wind up. I don't know HOW many times I was asked if there was anything I could do about the above mentioned screaming child, and had to say there was not one thing I could do.

As for the tantrums at home, send the tantrum to her room. My daughter HATES being isolated from the rest of the family, so telling her to go have her bad attitude in her room will end the tantrum in a snap. Otherwise, ignore them the best you can and GOOD LUCK!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Oh, and let her start making her own clothing choices. That was, and is, one of the easiest things to kill a tantrum; for either of my kids. My son (he's now 7) has always been better at color coordinating his outfits than his sister. My daughter's (she's the 4 year old) clothing choices have left me shuddering behind her back, but it was HER choice and I will support it, as long as it is weather appropriate.

One of the biggest things about the Terrible Two's is the child's attempt at asserting his/her individuality. Before now they see themselves a a part of Mom, at 2 not so much. If you give them choices and/or let them choose things now and then it SHOULD help too.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• OMG, I soooooo feel your pain. I swear that the day my DD turned two she became possessed! I ignored 90% of her tantrums, the 10% that I stepped in were because of safety of her and/or others and at times that it was seriously inappropriate.

At about 22 months the evil peaked and has been coming down slowly. She is now 2.5 and things have calmed down quite a bit, in addition to that I have also grown a tolerance to her tantrums which make them easier to deal with.

Best wishes! Six months ago, when I was in your shoes, I really had some serious thoughts about if motherhood is for me. Well, whew! Got through that and my DD is starting to be a sweet little cuddle bug who listens!

You WILL get through it, I promise, but you won't like it... I promise that too! Keep your chin up!
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 1:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011