What is the Best Way to Clean Your Carpet if you have Dogs?

I have three dogs and have had them for over 10 years. They all shed hair and one is blind and small so she sometimes leaves little messes because she has a small bladder and does not always make it to the door to tell me she needs out. She is getting better though!

So far I use a vacuum and sprinkle that pet odor powder from arm and hammer then vacuum again. It smells great for a day and goes back to doggy smell.

How do you clean your carpet if you have animals?

Advice please! Rude answers not welcome!

Gingerwheel

Asked by Gingerwheel at 12:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Home & Garden

• i also had 3 house dogs one small and two large ones constantly shedding and every so often having accidents..i would rent a rug doctor from my local grocery store/or lowes and shampoo my carpet..i done it about every 6mnths..i can tell you that the sprinkle carpet stuff seems to help but makes a total mess when you shampoo..when those accidents happen its better to spot clean with a small steam cleaner like simple green from walmart..i would mix my own cleaner and it would smell awesome! I would use arm and hammer clothes detergent and gain fabric softener! Omg my house always smelled great...anywho i hope i helped..if you have any more questions just let me knw
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 1:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• my dog is almost 8 and has a leaky bladder too..we have hard floors but she does leak on the area rug from time to time...I don't know what solution to tell you honestly, b/c I don't like chemicals especially when my daughter plays onthe floor...I just soak it up right away...we don't really have a dog smell in our house. probably b/c of the hard floors..maybe put a blanket under her when she naps? maybe you could try giving it a professional cleaning every now and then..
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• natures miracle or simple solution cleaners are great products.. and their safe. you can get them at your pet store!
    pipsqueak01

Answer by pipsqueak01 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Get it professionally cleaned... 1-800-stanleysteamers GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Personally I would rip up the carpet and install hardwood or at least the laminate flooring that looks like hardwood

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have a professional cleaning once a year and I do it myself a second time of the year. The diy carpet cleaners are ok but...still not as good as a good heavy professional cleaning in my opinion.
    That's the only advice I can give on cleaning your carpets to help with pet problems, odor, pet hair....let the pros get that junk up for you!
    Other than that...I love Arm & Hammers pet odor carpet freshner too but, it IS just temporary. I strip my beds 2x a year and sprinkle it on the mattresses , leave it for a day and vacuum up...just bcz the puppies sleep on my bed (2 mini dachshunds) and I have a teen boy (SS who visits and refuses to shower--Grrrr!) I just generally hate bad 'odors' . Anyway...I also use an enzyme killing product to spray around called "Zero". It helps with odors too.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 1:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have 3 dogs too and we have a top of the line Bissell steam cleaner. It was a bit pricey but well worth it. When you need it, nothing else will really do!
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 1:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Get it professionally cleaned and get the pet urine treatment also ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2011