Why don't we legalize Industrial Hemp?

Industrial Hemp doesn't have enough THC to get you high, just a headache.
It can be used for food, fuel, clothing & textiles, rope, paper, cosmetics, paints & cleaners, building materials and more.

It is easy to grow, yielding 2-3 crops annually on one field with no need to lie fallow. Doesn't require the chemicals that corn needs to grow healthy.

http://students.ou.edu/W/Elicia.A.Wallach-1/usesofhemp.htm

Friday

Asked by Friday at 11:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not sure about the specifics of the legality in this country, but if growing hemp (male cannibus plants) is in fact still being discouraged, my guess would be that it is because it competes highly with several other industries, mainly cotton.
    I know that was the case about ten years ago. Lobbyists for the cotton growers paid a lot to keep hemp illegal.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 7:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• i think it already is. hon,
    Anonymous

• No, hon, it's not. One must get a permit from the DEA and so far they are damn near impossible to get. There is no good reason why we should not be able to grow it at will just like most any other plant.

Here is one mans story of his efforts to get permission to grow ind hemp in the US.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 8:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• If it looks the same as a pot plant then how would law enforcement distinguish male / female plants without having to create a whole new agency (which would cost us money that we don't have) to check up on all hemp farmers to make sure they aren't cultivating a crop of pot. As it is the popo are too busy to show up for anything less than murder. It wouldn't be an issue if pot was legal, but since it's not then it would cost far too much to farm hemp.
    Anonymous

• Well, it looks completely different from a female plant. It has no "bud" on it's stems. It also doesn't smell like weed.

But the DEA already spends a lot of wasted time flying over forests scoping for guerrilla growing. At least hemp growers would be out in the open and quite easy to find.

Ghostfacebreeda

Answer by Ghostfacebreeda at 2:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I saw a PBS show once about the tribe that tried to grow it legally for revenue. The Gov't gave them hell if I remember correctly. Hemp can be used to make stuff in the USA but it has to be imported from another country. Which explains why hemp products are so freakin' expensive. I think hemp seed bars taste so good. I keep wanting to try Hemp milk.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 2:16 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Answered at 6:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 by: Anonymous i think it already is. hon,

Shouldn't doubt what Friday says.  She knows her shit ... hon.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• personally I think weed should be legal but do the politicians/ gov't think that once it is easy to access that it would be an even bigger push for the legalization of maurijuana? (sp?) That is what I thought.But I also thought clothing was being able to have hemp as an ingredient...hmm maybe I am wrong.

it is natural it should be legal-period!
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Oops, I was so tired last nite I didn't realize the link I tried to post didn't show up.

This is one mans story of efforts to get a permit to grow ind hemp from the DEA

http://www.tree.org/a2.htm

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2008