My daughter just started solids...

My daughter is 6mos old and we just started solids 3 days ago - Apples. Last night she had gas so bad she couldn't sleep and her farts STINK! Could this mean she's not ready for solids yet? Should I just go back to Breastfeeding and try solids in a few more months? Or should I keep giving solids.

Both of my older two had belly issues from the beginning, but solids never bothered them. She has never so much as farted like that before, let alone had gas keeping her up...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• LOL! lil stinker :)
    I wouldnt give up on trying her out on solids...maybe the apples just didn't agree with her tiny belly :)
    Wait awhile to try the apples again, maybe in a month or so.
    Try her on something else..maybe it will go a bit easier on her tummy.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• it's something new for her, maybe she's not used to it yet. Try mixing it up solids and breast feeding.
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 1:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Oh...and you know what..when my kids are a bit constipated..I always try giving them some apple or peaer juice....and it helps them to have a bowel movement..so really..I think apples are good for that mama! LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Sounds totally normal. When my son was a baby Gerber had spinach as a vegetable option. My husband and I would argue extensively over who had to change that diaper. It was toxic and could peel paint from 20 yards. That was 7 years ago. I'm not sure when, but between him and his younger sister Gerber stopped making the spinach. She started solids 4 years ago.

Long story short, she's getting something new through her digestive tract so of course she's going to have different reactions. The colors in her diaper are going to get interesting, to say the least.

Hang in there Momma, she'll be just fine.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• She's number 3, and the first to not have belly issues from the start. Both my boys had digestive issues from birth. Plus, I made the mistake of buying babyfood for them instead of making my own, which I've also done with her. She literally has had 4 bites in the first 2 days, it's not like I made her give up breastmilk. She so far has hated apples, but I don't get to the market til Friday... I'm gonna get her peaches then. I just don't want to start her to early if she isn't ready.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It could be just normal adjusting to something new. You can stop and wait if you want, your breast milk IS still enough. If you feel comfortable continuing, try something like banana or avocado, or sweet potato.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:14 AM on Jun. 26, 2011