Well, it could be worse...

this supposed to be encouraging? I mean holy crap do you think I don't know this already? THAT my friends is what scares me and why rock bottom might not be so bad. At least once you hit rick bottom you know the only way to go it up... WHY do people say this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Maybe because they just don't know what else to say so thier trying to look on the lighter side of the situation? lol idk thats my best guess here.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I am with you on that one. I don't know what the situation is, but rock bottom, for some, is death, and THAT is not encouraging in the least bit.

Although, theoretically, certain factors need to bve in place for some people to admit they need help. Only then, can they actually get better.

But,none of it is fun and none of it is good.

hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• May not know what else to say.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I agree with the others, people don't know what to say so they say one of the dumbest things possible. This really bothered me when my twins were little. They have special needs and I had a friend who would say things like "well at least they don't have......." I was grieving the fact that my girls were most likely never going to be like the rest of the world. And it felt like I shouldn't be feeling what I was feeling. So I have learned to say "I'm sorry, and is there any way I can help"
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 1:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I agree that things COULD always be worse...no matter how bad it seems. But I don't believe there is a definitive, absolute bottom to anything...that is why things could always be worse. I see the positive intent in these "words of encouragement". I think it means that you/we should not let ourselves feel that EVERYTHING is going wrong for us, and we have been saddled with the worst situation that could possibly come our way...woe is me. Things may be bad now, but nothing (good or bad) lasts forever. Enjoy the good while you have it, and make the best of the bad till it passes.

In the middle of a bad situation, I try to get through it in a way that will make me proud or at least not bring a feeling of shame or regret when, in the future, I look back on it.

It sounds like you may be in a difficult spot now. If so, I wish you the strength and wisdom to come through it feeling better than you began. GL
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think people say it when they are not sure what to say, and they just want to say something to make someone feel better.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 4:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011