10 Months and Whole milk , ?

Is it to early to introduce whole milk to my son , ? and How would i do it , Should i mix some in his bottle with formula , or in his sippy cup , how much Milk , How many times a day , ?

Thanks (:

des11987

Asked by des11987 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• All 5 of my formula fed kids started getting tastes of 2% milk when they were like 7-8 months. My 11 month old drinks some from other people's cups all the time but doesn't get his own cups of it yet (my older kids did at his age, though). It's more of a treat in our house. My kids only drink water during the day at home. Milk is allowed when we eat out or as a treat. Same with juice.
    The baby also gets milk in his cereal.
    My 4 older kids never had any issues with milk and the switch to no bottles was a snap since they were already used to drinking milk from their sippy cups. We just stopped giving them bottles and that was it. They never noticed the change.
    And our doctors (several of them at 2 different practices in 2 different states) never had an issue with it. The last 2 (and the baby) also didn't get whole milk. We didn't have money to buy 2 different kinds of milk.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• They don't recommend starting whole milk until 1 because they may develop an allergy to it. However I think you should do your own research that's what I did and I found nothing wrong with starting it early. Mydaughter was always throwing up her formula and I didn't produce enough breast milk so at 10 mo I gave her whole milk she is three now and doing fine.
    MISSOCTOBER

Answer by MISSOCTOBER at 1:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My daughter has beend rining whole milk since she was 7 1/2 months because she'd pick up her older cousins cup and start drining. She didnt seem to notice it wasnt formula. It never bothered her and it made the switch to milk easy at around age 1 when WIC ran out and there was no more formula! I did mix the two, but she didnt like it, so i suggest giving whole by selfwhen ready to introduce
    icequeen32

Answer by icequeen32 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I started at 10 month introducing whole milk I did 2 weeks of 1/4 whole milk 3/4 formula then 2 weeks of 1/2 milk 1/2 formula so forth and so on. At her 1st birthday she was completely off formula. She did fine but do what your doctor recommends
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• babies dont need milk until they are 1 I wouldnt introduce it yet IMO they need the formula or mommas milk because it has more nutirents for them
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Wait a few more months, 10 months is way to early!

You can google anything if you can call your doc.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yeah, its too early to introduce cows milk at 10 months. Wait until 12 months and do a little at a time. You can give baby stuff like baby yoplait yogurt, some soft cheeses, cottage cheese now to see how his little tummy can handle dairy products.
    You can also ask your pediatrician for some advice on it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• To early. Wait til after they are a year old before introducing cow's milk.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'd wait, there little tummy's are not ready to digest it yet. It could hurt him.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2011