If you're a runner...

How long have you been doing it? How old were you when you started? How'd you get started?

I finally bought some proper work out gear so I could start running. I still need to get the right shoes, but since those are a lot more expensive, I'll just start out by going for short jogs in my regular shoes... so I don't strain my muscles. I'm not sure how to get started, though. I don't know my neighborhood all that well, so I'm not really sure where exactly to go. Any pointers?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I've been running for 4 years. Couch to 5k like the previous poster suggested is a great resource! We have a great running group here on cafemom, please join us!
    runner-mom

Answer by runner-mom at 3:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I started running about 10 weeks ago. I used the Couch-to-5K program. I went from being able to barely run a minute to running 9 miles (3 miles 3 times) a week.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 1:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I started distance running when I was 14 when I joined my h.s. cross country team but stopped once I got out of h.s. I started again in my late 20's. At first I was only able to to do 2 miles but after a few months I was up to 5...muscle memory I guess. I'm now 41 and run 6 to 8 miles a day. I would recommend getting started with intervals. Run for 3 minutes then walk for 1 or 2 minutes then go back to running again. Start with 12 sets and work your way up.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I started running in Oct '09 and I'm now 33. When I started I'd lost 50lbs, but still had another 40 to go. I started with a beginner group using the Jeff Galloway program which is run/walk/run If you google him, you can find all kinds of free tips, who he is and even groups that use his program. I had awesome success with him as did the girls I started with (and we all became very good friends in the process) Couch to 5k is good too though I personally have not used it. I started with 4 min run 1 min walk and by Dec 12th I did a charity fun run that was slightly less than 5 miles and was able to do that without stopping. Ran my 1st 5k (3.1 miles) Jan 1st 2010 and since then have run 2 half marathons, several 5k's a 12 person overnight relay and my 1st full marathon in April.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I started to run and walk to lose weight. It worked and then I got my license. I miss it sometimes...
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I started running when I was 8 yrs old. You can start running at any age. If you don't have friends who run look for a local running club,you'll have fun!! stretch,stretch, stretch!
    courtcaton

Answer by courtcaton at 10:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• This time, I started running last September, after losing some weight through diet alone. I was 242 lbs (down from 269). Go to mapmyfitness.com, and you can create routes and they have an IPhone app, which I find very useful. I'm down to about 205 now, still going, and training for my first half marathon in 2 months. I did my first 5K in Feb and my first 10K in May. Just get out there and do it. Go slowly. It's not about speed. I started out running a block, walking a block, and I slowly progressed to more and moe running. Now I'm up to about 7 miles for my long run! Don't push too hard, or you'll risk injury, but doing it 3 days a week consistently now will get you on track. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2011