behinde

my baby is 14 months and she can say yes papa mama and mine is she behinde very one said that she is she sould be saying more is that true

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no. shes fine. i know a TON of people whos kids are 2 and they dont say hardly anything. everyone needs to chill before they say something is wrong with your kid. kinda harsh.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 12:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• oh, and my daughter says mom, dada, ur welcome, what, yes, yum yum. shes 14 months too. =D shes actually a very quick learner. surprises how good she is at mimicking.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 12:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Every child is different. You need to stop listening to other people tell you what is right and what is wrong. Some walk earlier, some later... My youngest didn't feel the need to talk until about 18 mos. Her sister did all the talking for her! LOLO!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• She's FINE! Lot's of people brag about what their kids can do - not realizing that (a) many kids who are very verbal are behind physically and (b) that the range of "normal" is huge - just because a child has a lot of words at this age doesn't make them any smarter than a kid with no words. It's an annoying habit! Here is what doctors look for when deciding if a child is "behind":
    18 months - 10 to 20 words. A child with fewer MAY have problems or may be fine. A child with more is fine and normal.
    24 months - stringing words together. "More cookie" is a favorite.
    30 months - sentences. "Mommy look! A big big truck!" or "Mommy! Follow me NOW!"
    36 months - actually converstations.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I agree with Kaycee completely that the range is normal is huge. At 14 months, my son could say about three words, and two of them-mama and dada-he used interchangeably with us and just about anyone else! He reamined like that until he was two and a half.

On the other hand, physically, he was always 6-9 months ahead of schedule (running, not walking, at 9 months, etc) But once he figured it out, he wouldn't shut up! LOL! now, at 35 months, he is having conversations and is one of the most verbal children in his preschool class. and his classmates are all now physically similar, so everyone evened out.

as long as your pediatrician is happy, relax and enjoy your baby!
    genkimom

Answer by genkimom at 5:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• She says more than my 16 mo. He tries to say a lot, but it all comes out a jumbled mess! He says mama, dada, doooo (dog), and caca. Seems to me she's right on track. the words have different consonant sounds in them, so before long, she'll be talking your ear off!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 6:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My son is 13 months old and will say mama, dada, baba, and hot - but he will only say it IF you ask him to say it - I know I got very overwhelmed with mom's who tell you that their 7 month old can say 15 words and examples like that - all kids seem to work at their own pace - I know my son is smart - he knows what tons of things are - I just think he's a "thinker" more than a verbal child.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2008