How long did you kee your school-ager in a booster seat??

My son is 9 1/2 and about 55 lbs. The law in our state is 8 years or 80 lbs. At the rate my son is gaining weight he might not be 80 lbs till he's 15!!!

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• So he's not in a booster seat then right? My 6 yo is 60lbs in a booster, my 9 yo is 90lbs seatbelt only, but only in the back seat.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• my nephew got clearance from the doctor as he has the same problem as your son...
    MRMama

Answer by MRMama at 1:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• We followed the law.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My 7 year old is still in a booster. He's 49 lbs. He's gained maybe 5 lbs in the past 2-3 years. I have no intention of taking him out of a booster until he's big enough. At this rate, he'll be at least 10 before he's heavy enough for state law - currently 6 and 60 lbs in California. There are tons of parents with their obviously too small kids taking the booster seats out of their cars if last school year was any indication.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My son is 7.5, is 4 foot 3 and not sure about the poundage. He is in a backless booster, and will stay in one until he meets the State Law minimums:
    Children up to their 8th birthday, unless they are 4'9" tall (which ever comes first), must ride in a child restraint. (For example a child car seat, booster seat, vest, or other restraint that is federally approved for use in the car.)

Children 8-years of age or at least 4'9" who wear a seat belt MUST use it correctly (never under the arm or behind the back) or continue to use a booster.

Saw this too: Doctors and safety experts recommend that children ride in booster seats until the lap and shoulder belt fit right, usually when they are at least 4'9" tall, or around 8 years old.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• 8 or 80 like the law says. My SS is 7.5, tall, and 75 lbs. The booster causes the shoulder strap to cut into his neck. Because he is so tall and so uncomfortable, I am thinking about bending the law slightly. 75 lbs is close enough....right???
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 2:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• our law is 40 ls or 10.... and I tak mineout at 40 lbs. Kaleb was out at 6..... I refuse to put a 7 yo in a car seat! REFUSE
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My son stopped using one most of the time at 6 simply because there was no more space in our truck for one. His sisters were smaller so they got the seats where a booster could go. He sits up front with us (there is no way to put a booster in the front center seat). But when there was space in the back he continued to use the booster until he was 9 (and 80lbs).
    The girls stopped using them last year for various reasons. They are almost 11 now and 50lbs and 8 1/2 and 55lbs. It's a long story why they don't use them. If we had a bigger vehicle the 8yo would still be in one. Not sure I could get the 11yo back in one, though. She'd throw a full out tantrum the entire trip (she can scream at the top of her lungs for hours on end and nothing will make her stop).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My son just hit 80 lbs- he'll be 12 this summer. He's very excited. We all thought it would never happen. Now he wants to sit in the front seat. I think you need to be 12 to do that
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 3:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I will follow the law, and likely keep him in his booster until I think the seatbelt fits properly and it's safe for him to sit without one.

Curious-JoLee, why do you refuse to put a 7 year old in a booster?
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2011