Step Parent Adoption, not the usual question.

I know the steps and all of that but, my SS was born in Louisiana and we live in GA. When I look it up GA and LA say we have to be residents of the state for 6 months. We have lived in GA for 5 years so, I would file in GA right?? Another question... When the adoption goes through, will LA change his BC with papers from GA? I know I need to talk to an attorney about this I just figured since there are a lot of women on here that know a lot about adoption. It doesn't have to be put in a newspaper or anything because the mother died.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 12:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Adoption

• one thing I do know is you file where ever your residency is, so if it's GA then you file in GA, the attorney will take care of the rest as far as paperwork.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 12:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Ii don't think his BC will change. He was born wherever he was born and that can't change. You should get a copy of it though.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Change the BC meaning remove BM's name like they did with my son's BC.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• File in the state you live in, the birth certificate will change the parent's name but not where he was born
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 2:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Ok. Thanks. I don't want to change where he was born, just his name and the mother's name.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Are you going to tell him the truth? You better starting early as possible!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• What do you mean are you going to tell him the truth, 4:35? His mother died. I'm sure he has contact with his late mother's parents. He already knows the truth you fool! Take your issues elsewhere
    Anonymous

• Why would you want to remove his real mothers name off of the Birth Certificate?? Thats the stupidest thing I have ever heard!! My father died when I was a child- that doesn't mean my mother thought it was the okay thing to yank his name off of my birth certificate. Why would you do such a heartless thing? Do YOU want the credit as MOM? This is just sad that someone would do such a thing. You didn't carry him for 9 months, deliver him onto the earth, and raise him till the death of his BM. You are the STEP mom, his fathers wife, thats it.
    Anonymous

• Anon 8:13: You have no idea what me and this child have gone through. She gave birth to him and LEFT him. I am his mom, the only mom he has ever had. I have gone through a lot for this child. I go to the school when needed, I feed him and provide him with what he needs, just like any other adoptive mother. He sees me as his mom he sees my children as his siblings. Are you going to tell the other adoptive moms that they have no right changing their children's birth certificates? He sees his grandparents and talks to them on the phone. You have no idea what I was talking about, I simply asked if LA would honor a GA adoption, a legal adoption automatically changes a child's BC. Your dad probably took care of you and was an important person in your life, he didn't even know what his mother looked like.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:56 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Yes, I am "badmouthing" BM because the person that replied seems to think that she was a saint.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:57 AM on Dec. 17, 2008