• In the Spotlight:

I am going in for an amnio next week.

I am 15 weeks, 35 years old, and my doctor recommends and amnio. what should i expect. and is it safe?

kimglash

Asked by kimglash at 2:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Why is he recommending it? Are you a high risk pregnancy?
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 2:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes, i am a diabetic. i also have a sensetive cervics, which bleeds.
    kimglash

Comment by kimglash (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have had two (each with different pregnancies) & the idea of it is worse then the actual procedure. It just feels like a lot of pressure & it's very quickly done. I had no complications afterwards at all with any of them.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• With my last child I was 35 and I had to have it done 2x, I think the worst part was having to drink a lot of water (and hold it) so they could ultrasound while doing the procedure. The actual procedure was not that bad. I think the whole "needle in the belly" sounds a lot worse than it actually is. They numb the tummy skin first, and I really did not feel very much. It was more of a pressure and a bit uncomfortable feeling, and it did not feel any pain. I did have a few bruises on my tummy (from the sites they tried) and did not have any other side effects from the procedure.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Instead of an amnio- I had a super detailed sonogram and an appt with a geneticist. She determined that we didn't need the amnio and that the risk was higher for complications than the chance something was wrong.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 3:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Oh and also they asked if we would have an abortion if something was wrong, (that they couldn't see on the ultrasound) and we said, no, we wouldn't, so they factored that in to the recommendation.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 3:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I had one when I was about 5 months along,I was high risk and I had an infection,they thought my amnio fluid was infected. I just remember a pressure feeling b/c they numbed the area 1st.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 11:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• i was offered an amnio at 30 wks bc i was also highrisk bc my baby had fluid on her brain and also i started prenatal care 4 months late and they told me an amnio can cause miscarriage and also early labor so i denied..
    carrientravisj1

Answer by carrientravisj1 at 3:19 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• The risk of miscarriage is higher than the chance of finding something wrong. I would NOT take one at all unless it was a baby trying to come early and they wanted to see if it was ready (like 35 weeks). I would not terminate if something was wrong, so I see no need to find out.
    rachelv817

Answer by rachelv817 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2011