Childhood Obesity

Today my son came home from school and told me, "they took away the whole milk" I asked myself. "Why would they do that"? My boys and most children need whole milk, but I guess they think this will help the few that are over weight.  I think if they were to take away something, it should have been chocolate milk.    Personally I think it is the parents responsibility to help their children make healthy choices. I don't blame the schools or the fast food places. It is up to you to make the right choices. Who decides to do this? The government? What is this country coming too?  

Just wanted to vent.

Jerzymom

Asked by Jerzymom at 2:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well I have done that and I have taken them completely off school lunches and thats when they started losing weight. They would slim during the summer and I just thought it was because they were more active but it was the lunches. So I started making their lunches. However I agree with you on not taking the whole milk out but maybe taking out the chocolate milk.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Agreed. Yes it is the parents responsibilty. Unfortunately there are alot of obese parents who don't think anything of overfeeding their children. It is sad, but you see it all of the time.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Why do you think kids "need" whole milk? They don't!

Although the AAP touts the benefits of whole milk for younger toddlers, they do say that 'after age 2, you can switch your toddler to skim or low-fat milk, like the rest of the family.'
    Is the difference between whole milk and low fat milk really that much of a difference?
    A quick comparison of milk nutrition labels (per 8 ounce serving) shows that it really does:

Whole Milk - 150 Calories - 8g Fat
    2% Milk - 120 Calories - 4.5g Fat
    1% Milk - 100 Calories - 2.5g Fat
    Skim Milk - 80 Calories - 0g Fat
    So if your 5 year old goes from Whole Milk to 1% Milk and typically drinks 3 cups of milk a day, he would save 150 calories a day. Although that doesn't sound like much, since you gain about a pound for every 3500 calories you consume, those extra 150 calories might cost you an extra pound in body weight every 3 weeks or so (150 calories/day x 23 days = 3450 c
    Anonymous

• Both whole and chocolate milk should be taken away. There's no reason a child has to have something with sugar (lactose) sweetened with even more sugar in order to convince them it's worth drinking.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Kids don't need whole milk or milk at all actually. There are better ways for them to get the fats, Vitamin D and other things milk is supposed to give them. My son doesn't drink milk at all. The only milk a child needs is breast milk.
    Anonymous

• If they really want to save fat and calories they should start with the FOOD. Even whole milk is healthier than ravioli, chicken nuggets and hot dogs.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes I believe it is up to the parents.My kids school went to 1% milk several yrs ago.We drink 2% here at home.That 1% is too close to water for me.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• No kid needs milk. That's just a selling point from the Dairy farmers.

But, I agree, that food should be a parents choice. At the same time, parents should be held 100% responsible if their young kids are overweight, without crying about it being McDonald's fault.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 3:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Agreed if the kid is fat from eating mcnastys..thats on the parent for taking them there to begin with instead of taking a little time to fix a decent meal for their kid.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Are there maybe other reasons they stop selling it? Most people drink "blue" milk.(That's what my kids call it) It's expensive and if it's not selling it spoils. If there are cuts in your state on education maybe that is what they decided to cut. I wouldn't take it personally you can send whole milk to school with him. We buy both because my kids have trouble gaining weight and take super mass gainer with whole milk so I do see your point.
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 3:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011