Does your crib have drop sides? Have you seen the ban on them effective 6/28/11?

http://www.cpsc.gov/onsafety/2011/06/the-new-crib-standard-questions-and-answers/

doodlebopfan

Asked by doodlebopfan at 2:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• doodlebopfan

Comment by doodlebopfan (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yeah, our crib HAD drop sides, but it is a convertible crib and just removed the drop side so she now has a daybed.

No worries anymore :)
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 2:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I tried to donate two cribs with drop side rails over a year ago, and they told me they couldn't accept them and that I needed to destroy them so no one could use them.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Our old crib did and if we still had it I would still use it. The ban is stupid. As long as the crib is correctly put together and kept in good repair there is nothing wrong with them.

The crib we have now is so freaking hard to reach the bottom. If the baby is asleep I have to just drop him the last inch. I tried to change the sheets yesterday and if we didn't have a foam mattress I wouldn't have been able to do it. I miss my drop side.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• yeah i know! but our crib works just fine and i never move the rails down! nor can i since its so hard to do! but once my dd is done with it we will get rid of it!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• We never used the crib even when we had it set up. But the one we have does have drop sides, and yes, I saw that ridiculous recall! And should my daughter use a crib, which I doubt, she will be put in a drop side. I see no issues with them and get tired of all the new laws and recalls to "protect kids" from life. When I was a baby, we had baby blankets and pillows, bumpers on the crib and guess what - gasp - drop sides... And guess what, they didn't hurt us! There is NOTHING in this world that is perfect! EVERYTHING has the potential to hurt someone! And this idea that somehow we can make things perfect or ban things because they aren't is stupid! So yes, I saw it, and being we co-sleep, which is also supposed to be "dangerous," I don't have to worry about it, but if our daughter ends up in the crib somehow, she will be in one with drop sides because I see no reason for her not to!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Yes it does, and yes we will still be using it.
    I know it is assembled properly, and I know how to check to ensure it is still safe.
    With my first we didn't have a drop side, and I bruised my ribs something horrible putting her to bed.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Well now I feel stupid for deleting my reply..

I personally see nothing wrong with drop side cribs, the instructions on it could have included a stupid DVD so people who can't read and see a picture could put them together correctly. I grew up with a drop side crib and my oldest had one, my youngest had her crib recalled and I took it back like an idiot.. I miss the drop side, it made reaching for my child so much easier and if I didn't like the drop side I can simply turn the crib to face the wall and not worry about the drop side. waste of money for a mass recall!!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My three older ones had cribs with drop sides, but my son has a crib with the fixed sides...even though he has never slept in it lol.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Both of my kids used a crib with drop down side (same one, we stored it). They're fine. And, I'm so short in the torso I HAD to have that drop rail, otherwise I'd be dropping my CHILD into the crib. And I'm talking more than just an inch or two. By the time my kids and the mattress at the lowest setting it was a GOOD thing they could stand on their own. Reaching down to get them or lay them down I was a good 6 inches shy of the mattress.

I think this crib recall and ban is one of the stupidest things to come out. Gives me yet one more reason to say I'm DONE having kids at the two I have.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2011