New cribs with FIXED sides (no drop sides) With or without LEGS? Pros/Cons?

It appears that we will have to get new cribs (we are foster parents) and I'm looking at the available ones, some with legs and some set as low as the floor. I'm wondering what is best? Will it depend on how tall I am and how easy it will be for me to get a baby out without dropping the sides? What are things to consider in your opinion? Just wanted to get some ideas before making an investment.

doodlebopfan

Asked by doodlebopfan at 2:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I never even used the drop sides of my crib. It was too difficult. When they are infants you keep the mattress set high so you can reach right in. Once they can stand, they stand up when you come in.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• If you're short you probably won't be able to reach in a fixed side crib to lay a baby down if the mattress is all the way down. I'm 5'5" and I can't reach the mattress in our crib unless I'm on my toes and it's pretty close to the ground (about 4" off the ground). Luckily the baby is bigger but if he's almost asleep he wakes up when I put him in there because I have to drop him the last inch. I also can't reach the mattress to change the sheets. I was practically falling into the crib yesterday but we luckily have a foam mattress so once I got hold of it I was able to somehow manhandle the sheet onto it. It wasn't easy, though. I don't think I could change it with a regular mattress.
    I miss our old drop side. I wish we still had it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i had the drop side right now baby sleeps in playpen will be looking at a crib soon though. but i never used the drop side. the mattress was high then the babies got to standing up so it should not be a problem
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2011