Circumcising a toddler?

I'm not trying to start a debate, just looking for advice. My son is 3.5 yo. He is uncircumcised and he keeps getting infections. He has had 3 already in the last 6 months. His pediatrician said that circumcising will greatly help if not eliminate the problem. The pedi said it would heal much faster than a baby's and he is likely to not even remember it. I don't feel strongly one way or the other about it, it just isn't something that is that common in my country(Mexico). Has anyone else had to circumcise a child that was not a baby? How old were they? How did they react? How fast did it heal? Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would go to another Dr. & get a second opinion. There may be another explanation for his infections. If you & your child are not native to Mexico, then it may be the water since it is full of uncommon bacteria unlike here in the USA. Go to a Pediatric Urologist before you agree to any form of surgery. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Just an FYI - I have worked in on/gyn field for some time and I have learned that circumsiced males have a reduced risk of contracting some STD's. I know young to think about that.. but it is a future concern. My hubbys parents waited until he was about 2 - 2.5, he remembers it very well.
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I agree with ILovePaulie. Have your doc refer you to a pediatric urologist, and consult with him/her. They will know about the infections and the specifics of the procedure.

I have read that the best time to circumcize is actually from birth-3 months because there are no stiches involved at that point.

Good luck. I hope your little guy feels better soon.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Listen, if the child keeps having infections, why not do what your doctor suggests? My Bil was over 40 when he was circumcised, and it was no big deal,, I bet he will remember chronic infections more than the procedure. I think you should listen to the PROFESSIONAL advice, and do what is best for your little one.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• No, both of mine were circumcised as babies.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 2:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• No but I'll BUMP so you will get some answer from those who have, I hope.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I did not, I circed my kids at birth. But I wanted to say that I can only imagine the procedure will hurt for a short time and will heal, while the infections will be long term on and off. For me, it wouldn't be a question. Infections are more common with an uncirced penis, and if this has been on-going I would only assume it will continue.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would just trust my doctor. The infections can become extremely dangerous, and if he thinks circumcision will help with that, I'd take his advice. Mine were circumcised as infants.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Wow, I don't know. The only thing I can think..is if the infections are painful, than it might be less painfull in the long run. Also getting advice from the doctor sounds like a good thing. I wonder where you could find more info?
    Gnomes

Answer by Gnomes at 2:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'm sold on circumcising him if it will help decrease or eliminate infections, I'm just hesistant that he will be in pain and he will remember it and be mad at me and my husband for putting him through it :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011