My DD wants her ears pierced.... pros/cons at about 2.5 years old.

She is only 2.5 and wears fake earrings almost all day long. She wants "holes" like mommy.

Originally, I was going to wait until she was 12 or 13 but her interest in it is now bringing up a debate in my head.

Pros/cons??? What is your opinion?!?!

(daddy is fine with whatever I decides in regards to a single ear piercing)

superclutz

Asked by superclutz at 2:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she wants them I would call and make her an apt. Take her to an actual piercer though, not some teenager with a gun. The use of a needle will help to prevent damage and infections.

If you are uncomfortable about the age though, why not tell her she can have them when she turns 3, if she still wants them done at 3, get it done, if not wait...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• We always said when our daughter asked we'd do it. She was 2.5 and she got them done. She asked her Daddy if she could have ear pretties like other girls. He even told her it would hurt and that she would have to let Mommy clean them every day. She said okay. HE did it and we haven't had any problems. She didn't flinch when they were pierced or anything. Oh and she had been asking for well over a year.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 2:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would do it, the only con I can really see is that if you wait till 12-13 she would be able to care for them herself as they heal. But little girls with earrings look very cute. What does Daddy say?
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Well it's 100% your choice. I personally wouldn't let me daughter get hers pierced until she's at least 8-10. A little one has no real concept of the initial pain or how they need to be taken care of properly to heal. I got mine done at 8, didn't clean them every day like I was supposed to and they closed most of the way, I had them re-done at 14 and the lady missed one of the original holes...sometimes to this day I accidently put the earring into the original hole that doesn't go all the way thru.

I know some parents pierce their babies ears, I don't personally believe in that, it's like tattooing your baby, IMO....but it's your decision to make.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• There are tons of little girls with pierced ears. Its accepted well by society. I made my son wait until he was 11 but I wanted him to be very sure thats what he wanted. Cons... you'll have to take care of them.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have 2 girls and pregnant with our 3rd. My oldest got hers done at 3 months old. My youngest got hers done at 4 months old. And I will be doing this babies as well. I don't really have a reason I just think babies with earrings are so cute. I mean if she doesn't want them when she gets older she can always let them close up
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I decided that my daughter could get hers done when she asked, she is 6 and has yet to ask but she is also special needs and developmentally behind but if she wants is and understands that it will hurt and she has to let mommy clean them I see no reason to not.
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 2:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i had my dd's done at 6mnths old..there are alot of ppl that dont agree but shes my dd and i have no issues with it
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 3:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• well u can take her to a professional to get her ears pierced i took my two daughters at 3 months old to get them done the younger they get it done the better they get used to it,and they will look cute..
    synistermom

Answer by synistermom at 7:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2011