What's your opinion about this?

so i just read a question regarding giving gifts to teachers the last week of school. Times are very tough and I think teachers should be understanding of that. But here is my question. Our school has teacher/staff appreciation week about a month before school ends. We give gifts, gift cards, etc.... I think giving a teacher a gift at the end of the year is really unnecessary because we've just had the teacher appreciation week not too long ago (a whole week of pampering them), plus isn't it their job to teach and they get paid for it? we give them gifts/gift cards for christmas, valentine, their birthday, teacher appreciation. what do you think about all this gift giving? in our school it's so bad that you can tell that the teachers only like the parents/children who give them expensive gifts! Our class got our teacher a Coach bag for Christams and for her birthday a Nordstrom gift card with hundreds of dollars on it. I buy my clothes from Marshalls and TJ Max! is this fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Seems that some parent feel the need to "buy" thier kids teachers.Isn't it a policy that teachers arent allowed to accept gifts of monetary value? I'd call the board..that seems a little out of hand over there.
    We do gifts for teachers too at the end of the year..but NOTHING like that. This year the head room parent of my sons class sent home a note asking for those who wanted to participate to go out and buy a giftcard of our choice for an amount of our choice and we gave her like a gift card tree. Some were just a $5 giftcard to Mcdonalds. It was a nice gift...but nothing too excessive.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't believe in it. I think other parents feel the need or want to but, like you've said... they just had Teacher Appr. week a month ago. I wouldn't, but that's just me. They were appreciated already and that's that. Anything extra is just other parents wanting to.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• We don't give teachers gifts unless we have the extra money. This year we didn't. That goes for Christmas, too. We have enough trouble getting stuff for our own family let alone buying stuff for teachers. The week before school got out we had almost no food in the house. I didn't even have enough stuff to cook a full meal for all 7 of us. I had to make a bunch of smaller meals at the same time to have enough for everything (we were out of frozen veggies, eggs, meat, cereal, etc).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I've never done that. My daughter has never asked me to buy her teachers gifts for birthdays, etc...Most of her teachers are mean anyway. LOL! It's kind of getting out of hand. Presents for teachers, friends, neighbors, the hairstylist...for birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas, Valentines, it's too much. I'm a single mom...I don't have that kind of money.
    AFairyTaleGirl

Answer by AFairyTaleGirl at 2:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I had each of my boys write a little thank you note to their teachers. That seemed like enough and the teachers seemed appreciative of not getting another coffee mug.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have never done the end of the year gift thing.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i dont think i will be doing anything like that when my kids get to school , if anything a handmade gift or goodies
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• When my son was in school we never gave an end of the year gift. Some other parents couldn't afford it either. I just didn't want to do it. They were appreciated and that is their job. Don't stress over it. Enjoy your summer.
    SweetPea726

Answer by SweetPea726 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• it is totally up to the individual and if you can't afford then don't worry about...teachers don't expect gifts at the end of the year or at any time for that fact it is just an act of kindness and showing that you appreciate everything they have done for your child throughout the school year
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2011