Is it safe to get a new tattoo while breastfeeding?

I don't want to wait another 18mos to get my next tat... But I'm wondering if it's safe. I plan to nurse til she's at least 24mos, she 6 now...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To be on the safe side I wouldn't get one
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 2:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• no its not safe to get a tatoo why even take a chance
    ms.69

Answer by ms.69 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• No
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't think any right tattooist would actually give you one. Sorry.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 3:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• While it is OK to get a tattoo while breastfeeding most reputable artist will not do it.. It is not a risk to the baby as much as it is a risk to you... They recommend you wait at least one year after giving birth before getting a new tattoo because of your body's compromised immune system.. You are at a higher risk for a local infection or a systemic infection.. Your body could also reject the ink causing more problems..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It's not proven to be unsafe. HOWEVER, the hormones can change the inks. And many professionals won't touch you. So waiting really is better.

While you don't want to wait,what's the worst that can happen if you do wait? Only thing I can think of is that you might change your mind. And that's better done BEFORE being tattooed than AFTER.

If there's another negative consequence to waiting, I'm curious to see it. No one has ever been able to tell me that!

Answer by gdiamante at 5:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I'm about as natural as you can get, and I'd get a tattoo right now at 7 months postpartum :) Happily breastfeeding :)
    mamanature

Answer by mamanature at 10:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• It won't hurt the baby. The only risk is the risk of getting something and passing it to baby, and if you're worried about getting something, then the artist isn't that trustworthy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:13 AM on Jun. 26, 2011