How do you cope being around an individual who's words just make you cringe....

There's no way away from her either...we have the same group of friends. I literally can't stand this woman. How can I either A, distance myself...or B, stand being around her without wanting to scratch my eyes out? ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• I feel this way with my mother-in-law....I try my hardest not to speak with her at all. If I have to, it's just short one or two word answers. I don't get into long conversations with her because she drives me absolutely nuts!!! I don't really have much advice that's worth anything but I wish you the best of luck!!! I truly know how you feel!!1
    cmgIII

Answer by cmgIII at 2:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would try to avoid her. I don't know how to suggest you do that since you run in the same circle of friends. Good luck.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Me tooo! Mine is a terribly NOSY and hypocritical person. I heard a conversation in my kitchen the other day betwn my MIL and her sister. It was completely racist and ticked me offfff!!!! I was at my kitchen sink (which faces a corner), so they couldn't see me gritting my teeth but....I'm sure they must have seen me shaking my head at the sink and wondered if it was in reference to the conversation they were having right behind me. I didn't care.
    I am just quiet around my MIL ..I am polite but I let DH entertain them mostly...I try to keep busy when they visit so I don't have to sit down and join in their conversations. They always comment on how I never sit down when they are here but...I don't care. There is always something to be done in my house...I just avoid her. Good Luck! We don't get to pick our IL's....a drawback, LOL.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 3:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Happens to me and my BF - he doesn't understand the meaning of the word "crass" and he just doesn't care.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2011