I would like to make more friends but i have always been shy

i have a facebook account and have people that i am related to a few friends ,people i went to school with and family. i have a few friends in cafemom and on a game called secondlife where i go hangout since i really have no social life due to financial and shyness. any ideas how i can make myself not so shy. it even comes out in my games because the shyness is so strong. and i noticed my girls are turning out the same way and i do not want them to be like me on this matter as it will affect them day to day and they already have issues.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• That's such a hard thing to work through and I can tell you, it doesn't happen over nite! I was the same way for so long but I've gotton so much better at it over the years and what did it for me was my husband. He is very outspoken and well, I guess it's rubbed off on me. also, years ago I had to take a speech class in college, I absolutely dreaded it but there was no way out of it. Anyway the first time went ok and the second time I totally bombed it! I couldn't breath right, I made a complete ass of myself but I really think it helped me in the long run. Also working with the public has helped a lot! The more you put yourself out there the easier it's gonna get. As for your kids, keep them involved in some type of sport or activity that is going to keep them around their peers! The worst thing they can do is not be involved in something , the shyness will only get worse! I wish you and your kids the best!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• just wanted to say happy weds. to you.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i finally faced my fear recently of being afraid of saying what i want to say in fear someone will think im weird, i just say what i want now and knowone has ever called me weird, lol ( go figure). anyway. i dont think anyone on cafemom thinks i would be shy cause through internet im not. i hoped this helps
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 3:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• What are your thoughts that make you shy? There has to be something that goes through your mind.. a reason you wont talk. Me I was always a bit bigger and didnt feel as pretty as other girls, so I felt awkward. At some point for me personally I thought.. whats the worse that can happen, they dont want to talk to me.. there loss I know I am a great person. But as I opened up, I found people are very receptive. I think the only way to overcome shyness is to choose to just step out, even if it is uncomfortable. And if there are insecurities, you have to teach yourself to think differently, those negative thought patterns will never do anything good for you or your daughters.
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• happy weds to you to momindiana :)
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i have always felt awkward out of place , that i was different then others. not sure why though
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have always been super shy too, but just recently i have started opening up, but still i am a bit shy. ok i will tell you why i have always felt i was this way and mybe it will help you. i have always been scared to start conversations because i'm afraid i will sound weird or someone will judge me, and i also have a hard time holding a conversation usually the conversation just leaves off in the middle with an okwardness, lol. i have goten alot better but i still have a hard time even waving hello to someone in fear they will think im weird or wont see me wave and i always get scared i will be left in a weird awkward position, lol. im trying though and i thin today i will start waving and see how that goes. i have always found it helpful to face this fear head on and if you are afraid of starting conversation then start conversations and etc.
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 3:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011