What does labor feel like? Back labor?

I'm going to be 36 weeks this Saturday and I am wondering if what I'm feeling is a precursor to labor or just normal aches and pains. My entire pregnancy, I don't think I have ever felt a BH contraction - or anything that I'd consider a contraction. Maybe my pain threshold is high? The past few days, I have had what I consider medium grade low back pain. It is right above my tailbone and it doesn't go away, no matter how I lay/sit/stand. Walking helps a little bit. It doesn't radiate to the front of my belly/pelvis at all. My last appointment (33.5 weeks), I was not dilated at all. I have my 36 week appointment next Tuesday.
Just kind of wondering if labor is something where I will know it when it happens? What about back labor? What does that feel like?
Sorry, I'm a noob. :-)

Molly4630

Asked by Molly4630 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It starts in your back and wraps around. Miserable!! That's where my contractions hurt the most. Try a bath or heating pad hun. Good luck.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have 4 kids and my last one was back labor, it was mostly down my rt side on my back...
    just as a cautionary thing... you might want to call the Dr. it could be a UTI and that can cause early labor.

trust me, if it is labor labor... you will know it. :)
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Most women think that labor is PAIN...but it most cases its just uncomfortable at times when pain will occur in other areas from ligaments that hold the uterus in place, or as the cervix is opening and stretching and sometimes as the baby is coming down moms experience pain in their thighs. However, the one dreaded word during labor seems to be back pain.
    Back labor is primarily in the lower back the same place were you get your menstrual cramps but feels way worse. it feels like somebody is trying to tear your back in half and the pain comes and goes with intensity. At that point you don't feel your uterus tighten anymore the pain is to intense.

msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 3:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• During my last labor, I only had pain for 20 minutes of contractions. After that, it felt wonderful. Pushing the baby out felt blissful! I love labor! It was done in 55 minutes, from the first "Is that a contraction?" to baby being born. I think a lot of it was the meditation that I did before labor and the visualization that I practiced before my labor. I know it sounds odd to many women, but labor with my ds was the most fun day of my life. It felt so good having the baby.
    Valleylily

Answer by Valleylily at 3:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2011