Does anyone have any solutions to stop my daughter from biting?

My daughter is 16 months old and has been biting since she was about 8 months old when she started teething. I've tried everything that I could think of or was told to try +to get her to stop. I've tried biting her back (she normally laughs when I do this), slapping her hands, putting her in her pack and play, putting her in her bed, telling her that biting hurts mommy, giving her a teething ring when she bites...I've noticed that she does it more when she's been playing and being more energetic than normally and she only bites women. She's never bitten a man, so I'm not sure if there's a reason why she only bites women and I have no idea how to get her to stop. Any suggestions would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.

MrsWhite101610

Asked by MrsWhite101610 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've fount that biting back, teething ring ect just doesn't work with toddlers. My youngest was my only biter and it did not become a serious problem. We always made a big deal out of it. He was always told that we do not bite ever and always got a timeout, even if I had to stand with me back to himin the corner. The laughing indicates that it is a game to her and she needs to know even at this age that it is not allowed. Good luck!
    Quinn525

Answer by Quinn525 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Thanks for the encouragement, I feel as if nothing phases her when it comes to biting. This morning she bit my on the wrist and it turned into a small welt and looks a little purplish. I feel like I'm running out of things to try.
    MrsWhite101610

Comment by MrsWhite101610 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It's a phase they go through. They get excited & crazy some times. But, I would say owwww.... & pretend to cry, make a sad face, stop playing & leave the room when my son did that. You have to react immediately and leave the room every time she does it so she learns through positive reinforcement that when she does that, mommy stops playing & leaves the room & her alone.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011