SAHMs How do you deal with everything you have to do on a daily basis when you are real sick?

I am so sick today, its only noon and I already want to go back to bed but I know I can't. So I am wondering how you other SAHMs deal with this kind of thing.

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 3:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• those days are never fun i usually just try my hardest to stick it out until my hubby gets home and takes over its hard sometimes i hope you feel better:)
    youngs1128

Answer by youngs1128 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Can you get a nap in when baby naps? or children? I don't know your situation.
    I always napped with my children...it gave me a 'power nap' and helped me get through the rest of the day/evening etc.
    Can you rest on the sofa while they play in with you...you may not be able to sleep but, you can rest your body.
    When i was really SICK..like flu sick.....I did only what was absolutely necessary in the house and try to keep kiddos busy with me resting...i would give them things to do where i could see them. painting,coloring, etc.
    Like I said...I don't know how many children, what ages or what kind of illness you have.
    Can you put them on the bed with you and watch a movie (cartoon)?? I'm all out, sorry! Hope you feel better!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 3:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I suck it up and get on with it. I don't stay sick longer if I get off my butt and do the work that needs to be done. If I don't do it that means more work for me later and less time to do it in.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Nick Jr goes on the TV and I have really quick simple meals to give my ds. If I can't stay awake I stay on the couch so ds can get me if he needs me, but he's pretty self sufficient.

LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 3:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Grin and bear it. Sucks but what needs done needs done.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I agree with pookie. You do it because you have to. If DH is home he takes the kids and lets me nap, but it's rare when he's home cause he works and goes to school full time. It sucks, but at the end of the day you can pass out.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 3:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I dont LOL! Last time I was sick I asked my lovely kids to be good. They are 6, 11 and 17 (ones at home). I asked my dh to help when he got home. He made dinner. He didnt do the dishes. He didnt take the trash out. He just let them take out every toy in the livingroom and I guess was so overwhelmed with what I do everyday he said screw it. Two days later............I felt like I woke up to a war zone. I was so pissed lol but I cleaned, cussed under my breath, and took it as easy as I could.

Answer by gemgem at 3:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't. I lay on the couch and put up gates so the kids can only go in certain rooms. If the dishes pile up and dh won't do them (sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't) they wait until I am feeling better, same with the laundry. I have learned that if I try to do it all I stay sick for way longer than trying to relaxing and take it easy for a day or two.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 3:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My kids are 7 months old and 3 yrs old. And only the youngest takes naps.
    LiLJeni

Comment by LiLJeni (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't worry about the house and stuff. When the kids were all real little I'd make sure there was something for them to watch on TV and then I'd nap. I'd make simple meals or there are almost always left overs around.
    Now it isn't so hard. The kids are 11, 9 1/2, 8 1/2, 5 and 11 months. When I'm sick and hubby is at work the older kids help take care of the baby. They even tell me to go nap in my room and they'll feed and change him. They can also get their own food. The only thing that doesn't get done is housework which I do when I'm feeling better (also make the kids help more with it since they were the ones to make the mess while I was sick).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011