Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

11 Bumps

FMLA question

My dh and I are both on FMLA because we have a seriously ill child..inoperable brain tumor..and we both get 12 weeks a piece which we have used some of but try to work as much as possible. We do not know what the future holds and as you can imagine, as a mother and father, it is hard to go to work when your child wants you. He is only 10. Does anyone know if there is special provisions about this kind of situation? Our employer has been really good to us but actually, our HR people make you feel that they are not sincere in their support. Can you take a short term disability leave for situations like this? Like I said, we both try to work as much as we can, unless he has an appt for clinic or a procedure. We try to keep life at home as normal as possible. We don't want to use up our time because we don't know when we can't leave him at all. Thanks

Answer Question

Asked by Alamama at 3:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 11 (604 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • sorry to hear that, I don't know... I just know that in some instances- you can take extra FMLA time.

    Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

  • So sorry dear :( On the will have to speak to the company that provides the benefit for you....

    Answer by yesmaam at 3:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

  • Sorry. Trying to find an HR person to answer this, because I'm not sure. I used my short term disability every time I was on maternity leave, but it counted toward my FMLA time. Not sure how that works.

    Answer by Fawn80 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

  • I'm so sorry for your situation. I will give you my best general HR knowledge but I can't speak directly to your company or your policies. Short term disability benefits normally only apply if you, if you yourself are disabled. FMLA does apply but in most companies where I have worked and administered STD plans they would not apply for another individuals disability, only for the employees' disability. Regardless of if you qualified for STD, it runs concurrently with FMLA so you would still be using your FMLA time you would just be getting paid for it. So I don't think it would be providing the solution you're looking for which is more available time off work, correct? Sometimes STD can extend beyond FMLA time (beyond 12 weeks) but in those cases the FMLA is the job protection and once that runs out, even if you are out on STD still per the doctor, and employer can legally fill your job.

    Answer by mommyslate at 4:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

  • I dont know the answer to your question...but im sure you have checked into disability options/assistance...just wanted to wish you luck. and send you prayers!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

  • I'm so sorry about your son. I can give you my HR view. But it would help to know what state you live in. FMLA is very complicated and there are several differenct options available. From taking it intermitted or on a reduced schedule to taking it off completely.

    I also urge you to speak to a patient advocate at your son's hospital to help you understand what benefits are available to you.
    I do not know your companies specific policies, it might help to have a patient advocate with you to discuss the leave issues.

    Answer by Peregrine at 5:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

  • I know where my hubby works they collect unused leave from the workers who wish to donate the hours, perhaps thats something that can be looked into....might not be family leave but it would be sick/vacation leave....

    Answer by michaux at 5:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

  • Michaux, our pastor also works with us and tried to donate time for us. They said it can't be done legally, or they just don't want to start that kind of program.

    We live in Alabama and so far, 12 weeks is all we have. I figured STD would not work. My company did tell me that we could get an additional 3 weeks, called administrative leave with no pay. We will just do what we have to do, regardless of one of our jobs.

    Comment by Alamama (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

  • Your child qualifies for Social Security disability--talk to an attorney who handles disability claims because due to the nature of your child's illness the government will classify him as disabled more quickly (compassionate is what they call it. This should provide an additional source of income for you although it won't be a lot. Whichever parent doesn't carry the health insurance should seriously consider a leave from their job. These precious days with your child can never be re-captured.

    Answer by GrammytoTrin at 1:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

  • I agree with PP and my heart goes out to you and your family ~

    Answer by tasches at 2:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.