Taking kids to the movies

How old were your kids the first time you took them to the movies? Cars 2 is coming out this summer and my ds is 3 yo and he LOVES Cars, but I don't think he's ready to sit through an entire movie at the theater just yet. My cousin took her ds when he was 2.5 and he did great, but another friend waiting til dd was 4.

LadybugTash

Asked by LadybugTash at 3:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son's first movie was just after his 2nd birthday... it didn't go well, he wasn't ready at all. We haven't gone to another since.....but we do plan to bring him to Cars... he will be 3 in a couple of weeks and I think he's ready this time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• my kids I know for a fact they wouldn't sit long enough to watch a movie at the movies. Well my 6 year old would, but she would talk through the whole thing and she is loud when she talks lol. My 3 year old no way in heck lol. We did take them to the drive in last summer cause the new twilight movie came out and I had no babysitter and I wanted to see it so bad. My oldest was almost 5.5 at the time and she talked through the whole thing lol. My youngest was 2.5 and she was trying to run everywhere so we ended up putting her in the back of the van and I sat in the back with her and watched it from there.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• it depends on your child. My dd started going to movies at 3 and she sat through them fine, but my niece and nephew are almost 5 and have never been to a movie before! Some kids are also afraid of the dark theater and the loud volume. I started taking my dd to the free family movies at our local Edwards theater - part of the Regency Entertainment Group. Look for the free movies in your area and test that way.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 3:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think it depends on the child and the movie. If they are really into it they will sit and watch it. If they aren't it will be hard. I would say being 3 and loving cars he would do fine. Any younger I would not.
    SweetPea726

Answer by SweetPea726 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My daughter was really little, 18 months old. We did take her on a week day when the theatre was slow, and knew before we went that if it was necessary we would leave in the middle.

She just turn three and has been to about six different movies.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Some movie theaters have child friendly times where you can take younger children...especially in the summer time. We used to have a theater that even let you bring your own snacks during these showings. Maybe check into it.

Otherwise...I would recommend the first showing of the day...Usually not crowded and mostly people with younger children.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• They have gone since they were babies with no problems. And in a kids movie, it is full of kids, you won't be ruining an adult's movie or anything if you have to get up and leave.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2011