What is a good age to start your little ballerina on dance lessons?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 4 years old
    shar-hulk

Answer by shar-hulk at 3:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• 4 is good for them because they are able to focus and not just run and play.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• my dd was almost 5.5 but she wants to do soccer this year
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I don't think it is up to you :(

I wanted to start my DD at 2 because she plays just dance and follows the moves very well, but there are NO programs accepting kids that young.

I have no choice then to wait until she is 3, and even then the classes are not really classes instead, they are tots getting together and wearing ballet shoes.

It seems that 4-5 is the age that classes are really available.
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 3:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• my dd started rhythm and movement class at age 1.5, ballet class at age 3, and now that she's almost 9 she LOVES ballet. Even at three they learn how to move to the rythm of the music.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 3:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Most of programs don't start them til after they turn 3 because of muscle development and most programs really start with 4 year olds.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I started my DD in a Mommy and Me Dance class at age 2. Now at 3 she's more than ready for the big girl class because she knows and is comfortable with the teachers and some of the basic ballet concepts. We're even adding in Tap after 6 months of ballet.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think it depends on what you want out of them. At a young age it is unlikely that they are going to learn a lot of theory and actual dance moves. It is more about enjoying dancing, following directions with your peers, and such. My daughter has gone since she was 2 1/2, but at 5, this is the first year that they are learning much actual dance. For me, that is completely fine, she has loved every minute. If you are expecting more actual training, you might hold off until your daughter is a little older.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2011