Is my son sleeping too much?

He is 13 mos. and goes to bed at 8 pm. He usually sleeps until 8 or 9 in the morning. But he will also still take naps during the day. The last few days he has been taking really long naps, like 2 and a half to 3 hours twice a day. I'm wondering if he is growth spurting again or if maybe his teething is making him want to sleep more. Any help, ladies?

alphamom26

Asked by alphamom26 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 12 hours of sleep at night is perfect.
    2 naps a day to equal 4 hours is right on target.

I read this book on sleep for kids/babies.
    It says 14-16 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period for ages 6 months to 4 years is a good amount of sleep for the body and the brain to grow and develope.

Now...if only my 9 month old would read that book and take its meaning to heart, LOL!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• a typical 2 yr old sleeps 12-14 hrs in a 24 hr period - in my experience as being a mom.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would not be concerned. (as a parent it is hard not to though, right?) You are probably right about the growth spurt. My DD has done the same thing. As a toddler they want to be awake and active so if they are sleeping then something is going on. MOst likely a growth spurt as that takes an awful lot of energy :)

I love growth spurts! Usually that means time for me to catch up on chores around the house. My DD is going through one now. She is 2.5 and is eating very well and sleeping even better. PERFECT!
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 3:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Sounds normal to me. My Son is 4 & still takes a 2 hour nap & sleeps through the night nicely. It all depends on how active they are when they are awake. My little guy is like a rocket & he loves to run!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Maybe you should try and cut his naps down to an hour hour an a half. That way he is not sleeping so much. It may be a growth spurt!
    ljmommy1211

Answer by ljmommy1211 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Some kids simply need more sleep than others. If he is active and happy when he is awake he is fine (and count your blessings!!) Run it by your pediatrician if you are concerned
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 4:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My son was doing that between 13-16 months, it's absoutely normal. he could be teething or a growth spurt, I felt like it was both for him, just let him sleep when needed.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Thanks ladies!! Whew!! I was really worried, and all my other momma friends weren't very helpful. Most of them were actually mad at me for bringing it up, and said I was "bragging" about it. But they all let their kids get up whenever they want, so one of my friends actually gets up at 3:30-4 in the morning every day, and most of the other between 5:30 and 6. They were mad at me for telling them that my son gets up at 8 because we let him cry a few mornings when he got up earlier. They took that as me criticizing THEM for not doing the same thing.....I think I need some new friends lol :) I was really worried about him. One of my brother's has mono, and even though we haven't seen him in a while, I was worried he might have caught it.
    alphamom26

Comment by alphamom26 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011