Since school has been out my soon to be 8yr.old autistic son Gage (who is potty trained) has started urinating in strange places such as the bathroom heating vent, also by standing up he just simply pees straight into his mattress! we have tried numerous things to make him stop doing this, if anyone has a fresh idea please share!!! thanks so much

gagesmom8

Asked by gagesmom8 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• As a mommy to a son with autism I would print out a picture of a toilet with an x through it and put one of those pictures around all the odd areas that he is urinating. Above the toilet, I would have a picture of a toilet with a smiley face over it. Walk him through the various pictures and let him know that it is bad to pee there. Once he urinates on the potty, offer him a small reward like a high five, sucker, sticker, or even a good boy hug.

Good luck!
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 3:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It could be any medical condition. Make sure to let the doctor know that your son was doing fine and he is having this problem now. Doctors always assume that it is all about behavior with children with Autism and prefer to NOT pursue further testing. I'm not sure about the specialist a child could see about this problem. But I know for adults (men) an urologist might have some answers. Before any behavioral intervention it is important to RULE OUT any medical conditions.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Oh and as you know, any big change (such as school being let out) makes people with autism more prone to regression and acting out behaviors. With my son we keep him in school all year long because of it. We are lucky that he has a school that allows this for children with autism and other disorders. He gets a week off at times and immediately we start to see big differences in his behavior.

Maybe you can figure out something steady to keep him busy with during the summer months. Maybe classes at the YMCA or something. Yes it is a change but it keeps him active which may prevent regression.
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 3:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I worked with a boy who disliked the sound made when he peed in the toilet, so we directed him to pee in the bathtub.........at least it was easier to clean and a solution while we worked on the sensory issues.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 4:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think you need to talk to the doctor!
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 4:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I wonder if his peeing is his way of showing that he is out of sorts now that school is out. Do you have a routine during the day? If not that might be a good idea, and it would give him structure for the day. I also like the other mom's suggestion of putting up no potty pictures near his pee spots, to give him a visual cue not to pee there. If your son sees a therapist I would also talk to them about this, and it would not hurt to see what his doctor has to say as well. Good luck!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Maybe he is doing this because he is uncomfortable with his schedule change. Talk with his doctor and find out what you can do to help. Good Luck!
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I agree with dixie girl!
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 1:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I would talk to a DR.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 3:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Does he have any kind of therapist or behavior management plan? Probably is the change in schedule, but I am certainly not qualified to tell you what to do. The first answer seemed pretty good, she has some experience.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 5:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2011