Certain complectioned people scare my daughter and I don't understand why

My daughter is biracial, I'm white and my husband is black (on the light side though) but for some reason my daughter is terrified of "dark" complectioned people. And what makes it worse is some of his family are dark so when she sees them she wraps her arms around my neck and clings on for dear life its like. Does anyone have any idea why she's so afraid of darker complectioned people and what I can do about it? *Sorry if this is somehow offensive to anyone, I tried wording it the best I could so it wouldn't be offensive*

MrsWhite101610

Asked by MrsWhite101610 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• She'll get over it in time.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I think it will just take your daughter some time to get use to the darker skin color. Its natural to be scared of the unknown. My son has a black, pretty dark skin colored friend that he plays with a lot (she lives next door), but when he's around a lot of blacks, he gets scared. My SO is Asian (pretty dark colored skin) (Oh, & my son is white), well my son asked if the sun did that to him - its the unknown. Just give her time and answer any questions she has. Take care & good luck, Hun.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Sometimes kids are like that with people, my youngest would not go anywhere near my dad or my mil.... and the reason is they talk loud and it scared him. (he did get over it and now will go up to them and do hugs). What you could do is take pictures of the relatives (or of darker skinned people) and show her the pictures and tell her who they are, and maybe seeing the pictures will help.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:05 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• She probably just isn't used to it and might not understand why anyone comes in any shade other than what lives under her roof. Mine haven't been afraid, but they have been "impressed" enough to make comments which are embarrassing enough! Maybe there is something about these family members that she would love? Their hobbies? Their work? Something at their houses? Where when she acts scared, you could bring up that this is aunt so-and-so...she has a pool at her house? Maybe it would just give her something to talk about and focus on?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Thanks for the suggestions, the photo one might just work the only problem that I forgot to mention is she's only 16 months old so its hard to try some of the suggestions, especially since we dont see them often either. But its not just family either, its anyone dark.
    MrsWhite101610

Comment by MrsWhite101610 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Just curious, how old is your daughter? How often has she been exposed to races other than her own?
    whomi

Answer by whomi at 4:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My little one is too. I think because they look so different from mommy and daddy. People with odd hair colors and lots of tattoos scare her too, but if she sees the same person several times she warms us to them.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011