dry skin

i just discovered dry patches all over my 2 month old's tummy. I put oil over him and they came back. he seems fine but since its my first child i don't know if its normal or not.

mama28th

Asked by mama28th at 12:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like it may be exema, its normal in infants because of the change from womb to fresh air. I was told to put a little hydrocorosone cream on my daughters back, and it worked, even though she still occasionally gets dry there sometimes, it isn't a big deal because it is just dry, not read and flaky.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• We use Aveeno lotion everyday all over. My DD has eczema all over her body. It sounds like what you LO has. Try some aveeno, if it doesn't start to improve, call your pedi.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I agree with coala. My doc said to use any heavy moisturizer. I used a Vaseline one first and it made DS break out. I use Aveeno and it works much better. It makes the patches go away if you are vigilant about putting in on and I like avoiding using steroid creams like Hydrocortisone. The doc said that he would prescribe something if the lotion doesn't work but so far the lotion does the trick!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I agree with the aveeno advice (oh- and I use regular aveeno- it's the same as the baby aveeno without a baby scent and it comes in a bigger container....) I also use hydrocortisone if it gets really bad- just for a day or two, once or twice a day. My doctor also said that Aquaphor is great- especially on drooly cheeks and chins at night. So we use that sometimes too. Heck- my hands were soooooo dry I slathered them in Aquaphor one night and they were like new in the morning!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My son is now a year and has had this since he was born, I was told not to use baby wash with scents, the aveeno is good, and to put aveeno lotion on him at least once a day. But I put it on twice until it started getting better. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2008