Has anyones toddler had a swollen lymph node? i am concerned my son has a lymph node.

i took my 1 year old son to the doctor today. because i noticed like a small bump on the right side of his neck close to his ear. the pediatrician told he has a lymph node. she said lymph nodes usually come when an infection is about to come around. and also if cats are around. she checked my son has no ear infection and we have NO PETS in the house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I wouldn't stress too much. Could be indication a cold is coming on, could indicate seasonal allergies, could be anything. The lymph nodes are always there, and their job is to check the blood for invaders, and they tend to swell with there's anything that can cause inflammation, including allergens. Thus, his immune system is working on something right now. I wouldn't stress about a swollen lymph node unless other symptoms manifest.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Swollen lymph nodes occur with allergies, sore throats, various viral and bacterial infections. It is not anything to be concerned about. Consider it a warning that he is about to have a cold.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• FYI- The Lymphatic system does not appear when someone is ill, it is always present. Just sayin.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• That is more common than you think. i wouldn't be concerned if the doctor is not.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My son's lymph nodes swell everytime he gets a cold. It happens a lot. If your child shows other sypmtoms that aren't "normal" then be concerned.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I would be concerned if your child did NOT have a lymph node since its part of the lymphatic system... it would mean that a viatal part of your childs immune system was gone!

Its normal. You have nodes al over your body. when ill some of them swell. Massage it gently to encourage circulation.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2011