Anyone who has had their child go to headstart?

My 3yo son will hopefully start headstart in the fall, Im just curious to if anyone knows what is it they teach them there? or is just a fancy name for babysitters?? I hope not too easy stuff for him like colors, numbers or abcs! lol. I enrolled him basically for the kid-kid interaction. He needs to be around kids his age for a change :) lil sis is only 11mths!

JaydnsMom22

Asked by JaydnsMom22 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son went there last year. It's preschool. He learned to spell and write his name. he knew his numbers, letters, colors, but they went over that daily. They also worked on interaction with peers which is the main reason I sent him to headstart. I really liked it and he did too. The teacher is even meeting once a week in the local park so the kids can have a playdate during the summer and keep up those friendships.
    Quinn525

Answer by Quinn525 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My step daughter went to head start. (she lived with us full time then.) It is pretty easy. Your little one probably will not learn a ton . They focus a lot more on friendships... learning to listen to the teacher.... standing in line...taking turns... this is a lot more important to them,than "School". I think my daughter learned to write her name, some colors,shapes, that's about it. It is much better than a day-care,but it is NOT all about learning what we think or as "school". You son will probably just love it though. I know my daughter sure did!
    Gnomes

Answer by Gnomes at 4:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My daughter went half this year and will start again in Aug she is 4 and knows her ABC, numbers, colors, shapes, and more they teach them how to spell their name and write letters they do lots of fun activities and learn many songs it's a good place for them to learn with out being pressured to learn as if they were in pre-k and by the time they are in kinder they are more advanced than other children
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 7:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011