SAHMs, what does a typical summer day look like for you?

I have a 6 and 4 year old. Today was my 6 year old's last day of school and I'm already going nuts. I need a basic schedule to go by. Any tips or advice on getting through the summer? This is my first summer home with them every day.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 4:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• Park, splash pad, library, playing in the yard, picnics in the yard, lazy afternoon naps. Just anything and everything.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I am only a full time SAHM during the summers. My son is 6 and he goes to a summer camp 2-3 days of the week. The other 2-3 days we do a lot of activities and try to find as many free or cheap things to do as possible. Both my son and I would go crazy if he didn't have the summer camp to go to. He loves being around kids and there just aren't any playgroups for kids his age. I would try to google "Things to do in your city" to find events, free/cheap places to visit, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• we have a small little 3ft pool my kids play in about an hour after breakfast then they take a break for lunch and my ds takes a nap we're outside in the pool alot lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Shrug. My days are boring, just like during the school year. Today was the first day off for summer break. I got up at 8am when the baby woke up. My 9yo son offered to take the baby so I could go back to sleep but I was already awake. The older girls (11 and 8 were at a friend's house). The 5yo and 9yo got their own breakfast and the baby ate. Then we all just sat around until lunch time. The baby laid down for a nap an hour or so ago and I cleaned the kitchen. The girls came home and now all 4 kids are outside playing. I'm just sitting here watching TV and waiting for the kitchen floors to dry. When the baby gets up I'll clean up the other room. Should take me 20 minutes and then I have nothing else to do until dinner (which my kids can get themselves since it's leftovers). I expect my kids to entertain themselves. That's my typical day all the time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:12 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Love your library ;)
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I have a 2yr old and a 1 yr old.
    After breakfast they usually play around the house (we don't have a yard) while I clean up or do laundry. Around 10am I take them outside for a walk to the library, the park, a playdate, splash park. After lunch they have a nap and then, if it's nice out,we walk (45min one way) to pick up my husband from work. When we get home it's dinner time and then a walk or park time with Daddy..then bath and bedtime.

See if you can find things to do outside in your neighbourhood..or buy a cheap splash pool for the yard or some bubbles or a sandbox. Kids can make hours of fun out of a box and crayons! Good luck.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 5:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• This month our weekdays are pretty full. From 9-11:30 we go to the community theater workshop for rehearsal and in the afternoons we have an art workshop a few days a week or we might work on sets for the production or we might go hang out at the library or the public pool. We also homeschool during the summer (we take June off) so after the 4th of July we will be back to the regular daily work schedule.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011