No idea what to do about my cat

My cat is three years old. He pee's and poops all over the house, and i've tried EVERYTHING to get him to go. He isn't sick at all..and this has been a problem, for a long time. I checked with the vet and everything, he just wants to be problematic..
.the other problem is..i can't afford to take him to the vet anymore. He got sick awhile back, but soon, I wouldn't be able to pay his vet bills.

What do people do when they love an animal..but can't afford to take care of them? I Love my cat dearly, I think animals are apart of the family..

madamlinwe

Asked by madamlinwe at 4:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Pets

• I would guess it was from the baby.. My sisters cat did that - sadly she came home and battled pee and poop for the whole 10 years.. which would mean you couldn't have an in home daycare.. I would consider trying to find another child free home for your baby.. I am sure that's a terrible thought But I can't see this stopping.. and I have 3 cats now so I do know a bit about their behavior and temperments. I don't think it is a lack of attention, its a disruption of this particular cats preferred lifestyle which was without child.. it happens.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Unfortunately there are cats out there that just done get it, he probably will never ever use the cat box completely, my suggestion would be to make him an outdoor pet, if you can't and you can't afford a vet when he needs one I would suggest finding him a new home........mine are like family and if I could not afford them I would not have them, I am in no way bashing you but my animals are something that costs monthly just like my kids and if people can not afford them I don't think they should go get them.
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 5:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• If you cannot care for his medical needs and you cannot figure out and fix his bad habits, it is time to give him up to a no kill shelter. If that sounds unacceptable and exteme, then you need to change your attitude toward your furry loved one. Start all over like he is a kitten and re-teach him his boundries and start putting a little away each week for his health care.
    Anonymous

• Can you get pet insurance? is the illness reoccuring? I do agree once they start peeing and pooping, it wont' stop and its a behavior issue more than anything. cats don't like change, has there been many changes or upsets when this first started? Moving dating someone new? anything like that? is its litter box always kept and clean?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Is he neutered? Do you have a lot going on in your house? Other pets, noisy, lots of traffic? He may need a one person,one pet, no kid home.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• @max-maybe..i dunno..I'm not going to be making much..maybe 1000, to 1500 a month..this is not a pre-existing problem..it seems like he did get worse when I had my kid..but he got better..then got worse again.. I give him attention..i can't keep up with this mess! I want to start a day care in my home but can't with little box smell :(

@lizze-he says i could give him shots..which are expensive (as in mood altering shots)

@music-he is netured..and yes, we have other pets..they have been around as long as he has..he started having this problem when he was about a year old. Then got really bad when we had the baby..but then got better again..very confusing..I keep his litter box very tidy..cleaned it yesterday..found pee on the stairs of all the places..
    madamlinwe

Comment by madamlinwe (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Cats are finicky.I've seen problems develop over time as well. My mom had to give up a cat she had for about two years for similar reasons.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011