Disrespectful 16 year old

Ever since I moved out of my parents house I have noticed that my 16 year old brother has been very disrespectful to my parents. He uses terrible language, calls them names, leaves al the time and doesn't come home until late and doesn't always tell them where he is, and he never thanks them for anything. He is very well behaved when he is around me when he comes to my house. I just don't understand it. Does anyone know how I can convince him that he should behave well for my parents also?

fergie92

Asked by fergie92 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Let him know he does it and you dont feel that they deserve that when they do so much for him.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Talk to him. Let him know that if he can't act respectfully to your parents he can skip coming to see you. You are creating a safe place for him to go so he can act the way he is with your parents.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 5:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• It could be he acts disrespectful around your parents because they let him get away with it. They are the parents and they need to be the ones to fix the problem, NOT you. The only thing you can do is tell him he can't come over unless he is respectful to your parents.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• You can say something - but honestly, you are his sister and not his parent.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Sounds like he is very angry at them for some reason? I would talk to him.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Maybe he is angry because you left? Maybe he misses his sister and is disrespecting them as an outlet for the anger he feels. It may be totally subconscious but it could be the reason. When I moved out, my baby sister got very quiet and reserved suddenly. She would stay in her room all the time and just didn't talk to anyone. I took her out for a girls day and some girl talk and she was so much brighter and happier, her usual self. She missed her big sister was all. So we have a girls day once a month now and she feels much more secure that she has not lost her sister. If you two were close, it's very possible that's what's happening. Try spending some one on one time with him.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• How about personalizing it? I would appreciate it if you would treat MY parents with more respect. And then rattle off what hurts YOUR feelings when he is disrespectful. Go down memory lane, "Remember when they got you that video games system? Do you know how much they spent on that? What about when they took us to "blank" and they let us ride rides all day?" Sometimes seeing that one isn't disrespecting his OWN parents, but someone elses as well makes them think a bit.

My son used to yell at me on a reg basis until my mother stepped in and point blank told him "You will not speak to MY daughter that way" ... He stopped. Her opinion of him mattered. Your opinion of him matters. You can make the difference.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2011