Home birth info wanted!

This is only for those mid-wives or ladies who actually had a home birth. Please do not respond just for point perks.

What happens after delivery?

I would like details.

Mommy_Aiken

Asked by Mommy_Aiken at 5:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Health

• I have birthed 4 out of 5 of my babies at home. Our midwives are there for prenatal and post partum care as well as the birth. after my first baby was born they put him on my belly and he scooted up to my chest. I was amazed, I had no idea a baby could do that, and he was my only one that did! after the baby is born the midwives do two apgar tests, just like the hospital would. they check the vitals of mom and baby. they make sure mom is good, after my first birth, my midwife actually spoon fed me my dinner! we opted for no silver in the eyes, no iodine on the belly button, and no vit. k shot. i think that if you want those things, many states allow midwives to do that.
    our midwives also cleaned everything up, and did the laundry too! After they left we just had a new baby! It was truly wonderful!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I've attended many homebirths. Afterwards we would get mom & baby settled, assist mom with initiating breastfeeding, make sure she gets something to eat and drink, clean up the mess (empty the birth pool if they used one, start laundry, etc..). of course we also monitored mom to make sure she was stable and did the newborn exam on baby. We usually stayed for 3-4 hours after the birth to make sure everyone was stable and then we would "tuck" mom & baby into bed and leave. The midwife I worked with would do a follow up visit within a day or two to check on everybody.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2011