Mini- meltdowns?

So I'm new to the toddler mom thing! My DS is 13 months old and having tiny quick meltdowns when he wants something or I need to take something away. I've heard people do timeout but he still seems so young! What worked well for you? Or do you just ignore it? When I've ignored it, he seems to get over it pretty quickly.

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I went through that. I told my son firmly "no, that's not nice" and leave him to his tantrum. When he keeps it up for more than 2 minutes I put him in time out and I tell him that he can come out from time out when he calms down.

That phase was over in about 2 months. Don't sweat it though, toddlers are all about phases. My son's almost 4 and he's in the questions phase. He wants to know what everything is and why it is there. There's something you have to look forward too lol.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 5:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Distract/redirect whenever possible. Also you can start giving a warning that something has to come to an end and be consistent. Once you say what is going to happen you can ignore any little tantrum after that. He is learning there are frustrations in this world. Stay calm and loving. He is too young for time out right now.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 5:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• yes, I pretty much ignore him, I do acknoledge his feelings, by saying I know your upset, but this needs to be held by me etc.
    but, I'm having a difficult time starting timeouts and he's 20 months tomorrow , so I guess we will see as he gets older.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Wonderful..thanks for the advice ladies! I felt that time-out was way over his head too :)
    Sarahbeth7

Comment by Sarahbeth7 (original poster) at 8:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I do the ignoring process. My son is 4yrs old and it still works. If he does somthin he isnt supposed to or i have said no. I say mama doesnt talk to people who dont listen to her.......he follows me around and wines for a few moments, then realizes whats been done wrong and appologizes to me. I dont believe in time outs or spankings.
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 10:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2011