Interested in the military?

With the way the world is now would you encourage one of your children in their interest of the military?

My older son is going to be 10 and he's always been fascinated by the military, especially the history of wars and stuff. The other day he asked if he HAD to go to college, lol. We were in the car so it was a perfect opportunity to discuss his education and future. He said he'd like to be an Army Ranger (I'm sure that will change a million times before he finishes school). But I've always had this idea in my head that he would either join the military or become a history teacher, maybe become a military historian.

So we told him if he wanted to go into the military he should study hard, go to college, join ROTC and eventually become an officer. He seemed to really mull this over and asked some questions about how hard college is. Man, I love this kid (my oldest is already balking at the idea of going to 4 more years of school after 12th grade and she's only going into 6th grade).

Despite the war going on I am 100% behind him pursuing a career in the military if that's really what he wants. Of course it's another 8 years before he turns 18 and graduates high school so he's got time to change his mind but his interest in the military has been pretty consistent since he was 3 or 4.

My dad is dead set against that. He's talked to our son several times and has told him NOT to join the military under any circumstances. My dad is a Vietnam Vet (Marines and he enlisted instead of waiting to get drafted) and is very jaded and bitter about how they were all treated back then. He wouldn't even let us fly a flag on national holidays when we lived there. I also know many parents that actively dissuade their children from pursuing military careers for whatever reason (the war, prejudices, personal experiences).

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 5:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'd support my children. They have uncles and grandpa's that have served.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• sign him up for the cadets if he's truly into that he'll love the cadets. About the dad, 10's the age that they are able to make decisions by themselves. I would personally NOT accept my kids to enroll. Army's a bitch and I know by personal experience but I would back my children at 1000000000000000000% if they truly wanted to go down that branch. Seeing that DH and I are (me was) in the military for several years. good luck with that <3
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 5:32 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• My hubby is still in the Army. Has been for 20+ years. Our son is 9 and has said since he was 5 he wanted to join. If he does or not, we will support whatever he chooses to do. It is his life and he will make his choices. But, like you we have a few years to have him change his mind a million times. It's always good to have choices.
    SweetPea726

Answer by SweetPea726 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Ditto marinebrats response ~ but I'd steer the LO into the navy, coast guard or air force rather than the army or marines.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I was a medic in the USMC. It great because now, I wanna become a doctor and help soldiers coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq.
    marinebrats

Answer by marinebrats at 6:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• --but I'd steer the LO into the navy, coast guard or air force rather than the army or marines. --

That's what my husband was doing. He was kind of steering the conversation towards the Air Force but my son said he wanted to be a Ranger. No idea where he got that from. He's been watching Stargate with me for awhile and it's all Air Force but he's stuck on the Army now for some reason. I'm sure he'll change his mind again next year. I'm interested to see what he ends up doing when he's grown up (military or not).
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Nope. I have seen 1st hand what can take place behind closed doors & it is not something I want for my daughters
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 22, 2011