• In the Spotlight:

vanilla extract vs. vanilla flavoring

i have both because they were called for specifically in recipes. sometimes when i find a recipe, it asks for just vanilla. which one is more appropriate? i've just used whichever one won a game of eenie meenie miny moe, and i don't think it has affected the recipe, but i would like to use whichever is the right one. thanks!

MaMaLaLa369

Asked by MaMaLaLa369 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Food & Drink

• vanilla extract is really vanilla....as for vanilla flavoring, it is a not actually vanilla but is flavoring that taste close to vanilla. that is why vanilla extract is more expensive then vanilla flavoring. i personally only use vanilla extract no matter what the recipe calls for because in my opinion tastes better and is not as chemically altered as vanilla flavoring.
    babymakr

Answer by babymakr at 1:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Always use vanilla extract.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 1:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I always use vanilla extract--it has to say pure though.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I agree Vanilla extract only . My mom use to use vanilla flavoring, so I never knew either. Until my husband brought home real vanilla.. No going back. If it is in your budget. Madagascar vanilla is to die for!
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 2:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I agree, use the extract. It tastes better.

Answer by Bmat at 2:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• vanilla flavor is the one like powder !! ?
    fire

Answer by fire at 3:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I also always use pure vanilla extract. It gives more flavor, in my opinion.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 3:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• If its cheaper, and tastes the same, use the flavoring = )
    ZoesMom07

Answer by ZoesMom07 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• flavoring is fake and probably just chemicals pure extract is the real thing
    learae

Answer by learae at 5:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• yeah, the bottle of flavoring does say "imitation". so i'll just use that up and get pure vanilla extract from now on. thank you to all who replied!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 6:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2008