A question for Protestants about timing

Please don't take this as a "lets bash Catholics" question. My mom was Catholic, I have deep respect for their faith.

That said.

Protestant religions exist on the premise that at some point (from before the word Catholic was ever used, up to Martin Luther) there was a sort of mass drifting or falling away in the church away from original truths.

Does your denomination have a specific time frame in which they believe that happened? Before or after the council at Nicea? Or close to when Martin Luther first protested? Somewhere in between? After?

Do you have specific years or events to mark it?

Name your denomination if there's an official time frame for it. If not, you can leave that out.

(also, don't turn this into a lets bash protestants question, or any other bashing please).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Most of the Christians I know (from various denoms) generally think that things started going wrong with Constantine. He made a political decision to "convert" and subsequently begin mixing a lot of Pagan ideas with Christianity. Many of these hybrid beliefs and practices still exist in the Catholic Church today. I can't speak for other churches, but it is the goal of my particular church to completely separate from those "extras" and try to get back to the purest form of Christianity that we can in modern times.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 8:28 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• So, do these denominations believe that things "went wrong" around the time they broke away, or sometime in the past before they officially broke off?

Each denom will tell you everyone before them was doing it wrong, which caused them to leave. They will also say that each denom that branches off from them is trying to change the rules to suit themselves, and also doing it wrong. Think of each as a bubble, where their bubble touches the next is where they decide someone else is wrong.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I can't speak for the Protestant side but I know that there are many reasons that the Orthodox split and it wasn't really that things "went wrong". It was very hard at that time to communicate between to the sides of the world. The East was under constant attack by the Muslims and the West had it's own problems with different heresies. At the time you had to have approval from ALL the bishops in order to change something in the Creed...and Rome added three words..."and the son" (the filioque) without consent from the Bishops in the East. They changed it to fight a heresy that was threatening the faith..so it was needed..but the East were upset and it just snowballed from there. Trying to run a church when half is at war and nobody speaks the same language (half latin half greek) and it takes months to communicate is hard. From what I understand it is mostly political.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 7:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Try this link. I know there is a better link online. I got a message that I posted the wrong link :( sorry about that. That is what happens when you try to do a quick google search.

There is a better link out there with the reasons for the split I don't have time to search for it now. As for your denomination question, you might have to look at each specific denomination for that answer.

Tobbymommy, my understanding is that much of the church went about business as usual for years without knowing about the split. :-) thanks for your message I will be back on later 

vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 7:31 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• * I am not a church history scholar so if anyone can explain it better then me please do!. This is just how I understand it.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 7:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• i believe in a VAST amount of time from before jesus to after christ
    i like the movie "the god who wasn't there"
    there are specific years yes but not for all stories because they are parables, events that never happened...
    mass drifting from the way things originally were? i feel like that mostly happened once Protestants came into existence
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 26, 2011