Agave Nectar? Good, bad, fact, fiction, myth, WHAT??

For every good thing I read about it, there are bad things to contraindicate it. What's your take?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 5:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Health

• wellll it has more fructose than high fructose corn syrup. People say it has a low glycemic index & it does, but it has so much fructose, that it kind of makes it less good for you.

It's made the same exact way as high fructose corn syrup, with genetically modified enzymes & stuff. It's really not much different than high fructose corn syrup altogether.

fructose is digested in your liver, it is immediately turned into triglycerides or stored body fat. Since it doesn’t get converted to blood glucose like other sugars, it doesn’t raise or crash your blood sugar levels. Hence the claim that it is safe for diabetics.

But it isn’t.

That’s because fructose inhibits leptin levels, the hormone your body uses to tell you that you’re full. In other words, fructose makes you want to eat more.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:04 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• its a natural sugar
    not sure about the glycemic index
    Anonymous

• All I know is its made grimaced plant and better/ healthier than sugar. I bought some it was kinda expensive but barely use it because it taste like syrup. I thought I could use this in place of sugar but I don't know if I can cause of the taste. So I just out it on my little ones pancakes
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 6:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• There is nothing natural about agave nectar...but hey sure do want you to think that.
    samurai_chica