HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO BREATH WHEN I AM RUNNING?

mrs.kendrick543

Asked by mrs.kendrick543 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 22, 2011 in Health

• When I was in gym class, they always said, "Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth."
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• http://completerunning.com/archives/2009/05/27/how-to-breathe-when-running/
    7 Key Breathing Tips

Try slowing down before attempting to change your breathing.
    Focus on longer, deeper breaths.
    Breath more from your diaphragm (belly) than your chest (chest breathing is more shallow).
    Focus on exhaling more fully. This will remove more CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) and allow for deeper inhalations of O2 (Oxygen).
    Allow air to enter through both the nose and mouth. This will allow for maximum O2 intake.
    Aim to take three footsteps for every inhale, and two footsteps for every exhale (3:2 ratio). A good descriptions of this can be found on Military.com:

SinfulBliss

Answer by SinfulBliss at 6:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• In boot camp we were told to inhale 5 seconds or steps and exhale for 5 seconds or steps. If you get a stitch in your side, exhale. Eventually your body and breathing will fall into synch with one another and running will be easy.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• when I ran track in high school..it always helped me to take a breath in through my nose for 2 steps then out through my mouth for 2 steps...keeps a rythym for running too :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• What Izsarejman said is the best method.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2011